Anyone use "line out" or "direct out" from your amp to the house?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dmarkj22, Jan 23, 2012.

1. dmarkj22

dmarkj22 Member

A lot of amps have this feature and I was wondering how it has worked for you. I'm still old school and simply mic my amp but I was wondering how the line out feature works for you?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

blecch!

the line out is good for slaving into another power amp driving its own speakers; it won't sound so great by itself, as the speaker sound is a primary part of guitar tone.

the new generation of emulated outs come reasonably close to faking the speaker sound too, and can sound decent direct in.

3. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

depends on the amp. mine work fine. Red Plates (BV and BL) and Bogner Duende.

4. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

I do with a SCXD and a Tech 21 TM60. Works very well - I basically use the amp for my stage monitor.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've done it for a while with a variety of amps. It's going to depend on the quality of the line out on the amp, but a lot of them are pretty decent these days.

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Some of the better sound people will MIC the front of my amp, then go to MIC the back. Instead, I have them plud into the XLR Out on my Kustom. Same thing in the studio.

Many of the sound people will turn everything up, until it feeds back, then back off until it only feeds back a little. I don't know if they are all deaf, but I can still hear the feedback. I unplug their MIC and plug the cable into the XLR Out. At least it stops the feedback.

7. Sherman

Sherman Supporting Member

I have an Egnater R30 that I plug directly into the house PA and it sounds really good. It works well in that the amp is designed to see a speaker load w/the silent record feature that eliminates any stage volume.