Anyone use Radial Big Shot ABY box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joegrant413, Jan 21, 2008.

1. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

I use one and the best part about it is the ground lift. I live in a place with very dirty power so my amps totally love this little box. and yes, nice and quiet switching to A or B or both (Y).

3. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

The only ABY box I've tried was a Morley... too noisy for my tastes!

The main thing I'd like to try with the Radial is to feed both channel of a Fender DRRI. They are out-of-phase, so the phase inverter would be great, so long as the box is nice and quiet.

-- Joe

4. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I had one, sold it got a Switchazel basically for the dedicated tuner out, but had the hum with my one amp, so I rebought the Bigshot and HUM GONE!
    I'll never sell this one, even if I don't use it.
    Best ABY for the $ out there.

5. doublee

doublee Member

yes I do. Both Bigshot and ToneBone. i wanted the lehle a liitle more but they are changing inventory so they are a little dodgy at present, stock-wise. And due to exchange rate alot more expensive. The Big Shot has no led's and makes some noise changing channels, and no gain switch. The Tonebone has it all but expensive @ 250 -ish, vrs the Lehle @ 350-ish. May want to look into Lavaman's new aby, USA made and therefore maybe more bang for the buck.

6. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Great value, features, and really solid build quality. The only thing it's missing is LED's.

7. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

Doulbee, when using these Radial units do you ever run 2 amps at the same time? Do you notice any sound differences between the Switchbone and Bigshot once activated. I can live w/o LED's, noise when switching could be tolerable.

8. Will Dandy

Will Dandy Supporting Member

If you're interested in the phase switch I have to be honest, I have one of these, and when you use the isolated transformer (which you have to in order to flip the phase) the signal to 'output b' sounds pretty bad (Loss of a lot of mids and treble). I just wired a speaker cable to run reverse phase. other than that the box is cool, but if it's the phase that's appealing, I would look for other solutions. Just my experience.

9. doublee

doublee Member

yes , 2 amps is why I got it. Sound difference is inaudible if any. If you can go with the above that you mention then the 75$ Bigshot is the way to go for sure. I just wanted the led's to know where I was easily and the gain option and the quiet switches in the Tone Bone.

10. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Yes, on some amps you can notice alittle "off" tone as the guy above said, but not on all. I've been through like 40 amps the past few years. But, well worth trying for the $.
    I wa sgoing to get a Lehle, but they don;t offer the hum or phase thing. I ran into with the %13 worked great, all except on my Soldano which hummed. Did I miss it, does Lehle have such an option?

11. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks anyway. Also, the main thing I going for is a way to play the Normal Channel on a Fender DRRI and play the "Vibrato" channel in order to get that nice tube reverb. It's OK -- to a point -- if the Radial's iso and phase correction feature takes away some treble and mids, since I'll be adjust these down anyway to focus on the reverb with that channel.

Now you got me wondering about trying to reverse phase by using a speaker cable. I'll re-read these posts and maybe do yet *more* research on this...

-- Joe