1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use S/PDIF for Mbox recording?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by nickdahl, Jan 3, 2006.

1. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

Here's what I thought I'd do: does this sound "cleaner" to you?

Microphone into RNP, which is hooked up to a RNC, then out of the RNP into my Eventide Eclipse. I'd use the S/PDIF out on the Eclipse and go into the Mbox that way. I'd bypass the micpre on the Mbox that way.

Okay?

Nick

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Should be OK. I've done it, but I used an Apogee Rosetta. Try it both ways and see which sounds better.

You should have one device be the master clock. I don't know how good the clock in the Eclipse is. Try making your PT clock source the Eclipse. If you get a lot of clicks, try re-booting you computer - that some times works for me. If you still get clicks, see if the Eclipse can use your computer as its clock source (I've never tried that, so at this point I'm just farting in the wind). If not, or if you still get a lot of clicks, go the analogue route.

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

Michael is correct. You will need to chose one source or master for clock. I would try both ways and see what works best. Probably clocking PT to the Eventide.

4. muddy

muddy Member

eventide's converters are actually pretty good. couldn't tell you about their clock, but it'd more than likely beat better than the mbox's. but i'd be farting here, too.

ml

5. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

Thanks guys. I gave it a try today but things didn't work out. I hooked everything up like I planned to, but for some reason, the Pro Tools didn't see a signal. I switched the hardware selector to S/PDIF and everything looked good, going into the Eclipse. Nothing showed up when I hit RECORD on the PT.

Nick

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Did you select SPDIF as your input for the track?

7. Sebastian

Sebastian Supporting Member

You're also going to get latency if you go digital in to the Mbox. It skips the mix knob on the front, so you can't director monitor a digital source.

You can overdub digitally by monitoring off a mixer. ​

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Did you change the settings in "Hardware Setup" within Pro Tools?

I use an Apogee Mini-me into an MBox via SPDIF for my acoustic recording and never have any issues getting the sound recorded.

Bryan

9. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I spent some time yesterday working through the problem, and found that I may have a goofy version of PT7. I can select S/PDIF using Hardware>Setup, but when I go to Hardware>1/O, I have a problem. The software won't let me select "digital" where that matrix appears. I spent a bunch of time on the phone with Sweetwater's tech department and they were able to replicate my problem on their machine too. So, I'm not sure where to go with this experiment.

Nick

10. stratofied

stratofied Member

11. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

I'm going to. Sweetwater's tech guy said he'd check with Digidesign too. Still, I'd like to figure it out.

Nick

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Wierd... what a drag!

Please let us know how it's resolved.