Anyone use single coil size humbuckers? (Seymour Duncan content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pizza, May 6, 2016.

1. Pizza

Pizza Member

I have an American Standard with custom shop Fat 50s. I like them, but the hum is INSANE. Old house and all that.

Plus my boyfriend has gotten me into The Darkness and AC/DC, so I'm playing dirtier music in general recently.

Anyone have experience with the Strat sized Seymour Duncan humbuckers?

I want to swap the neck and possibly the bridge. I like the Fat 50s bridge though.

Amp is a Deluxe Reverb.

Here's my pedalboard for dirt reference.

[​IMG]

Thanks

b80 and Cgkindler like this.
  2. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

Hi,
    I have Seymour's lil 59 in the neck/middle, hot rails in the bridge of one of my strats.
    Had them in there for about 3 months now. My impressions are that they sound and feel better with overdrive/distortion rather than clean. They're good clean, just a bit dark like a full humbucker would be. I think the lil 59 shines in the middle position with dirtier sounds… just has such a nice high mid cut to it without being harsh. The hot rails is heavier in the mids and sounds good, hot enough to push an amp hard, but I've come to appreciate more of a biting bridge sound like what a tele would give. May try the 59 in the bridge since it has better treble response. Other than that, don't have any other seymour pickups.

I have another modded strat with a Dimarzio Cruiser in the neck, Steve's special in the bridge. The Cruiser has more of the single coil tone and treble response I prefer in the neck position. Sounds great clean, dirty or heavily distorted. Has tighter lows, slightly scooped mids with a nice clear top end, stays punchy with higher gain. Highly recommend that in the neck position.

My dirt pedals are usually a ts-9, bk butler tube driver, fuzz face, boss od-3, various boosts. Cleans are either a twin reverb or various low watt amps I've built.

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The Dimarzio area pickups are pretty nice sounding and noiseless, but it sounds like the music you are moving toward would sound good on a humbucker equipped guitar. Maybe get a HSS or HH set up pickguard for your Strat, or possibly get a Les Paul or an SG....

anubae_obscura and apoyando like this.
  4. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Waiting on (rolling the $40 dice on) some GFS Lil Punchers (modern vintage) for a tele (seafoam/rosewood) I'm slapping together. Will report back in a couple of weeks when I get around to it.
    I believe they do various similar strat sets.

5. Turi

Turi Member

Embrace the hum or play a different guitar, only noobs don't play pure SSS guitars.

aynirar27 likes this.
  6. Erswell

Erswell Member

That Dave Murray's not bad for a noob ;)

Zezozose, HERSCHEL, jammwill and 3 others like this.
  7. Turi

Turi Member

You mean Pete Murray?

8. Erswell

Erswell Member

Nope - Dave Murray from Iron Maiden. Bit of a fan of his! Think one of his strats has blades or similar.

Sentenced and Turi like this.
  9. Destroyer

Destroyer Member

Nobody should take advice from someone that uses the word noob in response to a simple question. Ever.

Zezozose, HERSCHEL, fred_ and 15 others like this.
  10. Turi

Turi Member

Nobody can think for themselves.

ellis dee likes this.
  11. Turi

Turi Member

Cool, never heard of 'em.

@Pizza - you checked out Kinmans?

12. Erswell

Erswell Member

Right. That's the last straw. I'm checking into a retirement village. Last week a girl at work hadn't heard of G'n'R and now this. Clearly I'm officially old :(

HERSCHEL, Sentenced, Funny123 and 3 others like this.
  13. Turi

Turi Member

Haha nah I'm just joking. I dig "Cum on feel the noise".. always thought his name was Dave Mustang though.

Jeremie Legault, gripweed and Erswell like this.
  14. m0b1liz3

m0b1liz3 Member

I've been waiting for the new zexcoils to come out. They look slightly less cheesey with the new cover type.

There are not many noiseless options that sound like the real thing. I did play a master built customshop 56 replica strat. It had been specially shielded and was one of the most silent strats I have tried (with traditional pickups). I would have bought it but it was over 6000.

Zexcoil likes this.
  15. ES330

ES330 Member

2HBStrat likes this.
  16. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

Ok, you clearly win the "troll of the day" award! And the day has just begun... Good job, I have to admit!

17. Turi

Turi Member

Cheers mate.

18. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Silver Supporting Member

The Zexcoils are very nice; I have the vintage set and they sound very 'stratty' with a bit more oomph on the bridge pick up whilst remaining bright; I think that they really sound like great strat pickups that happen to be noiseless as they don't feel like any sort of compromise to me.

I am aware that some may disagree with that statement!

The look bothered me as well and I enquired about the new style covers and was told they will fit the existing pickups and will be made available as retrofits. I have to say however that now I have had the pickups for a few weeks I actually quite like the way they look.

Zexcoil and apoyando like this.
  19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Jimmy Herring?
    Every Gibson player?
    Every PRS player?
    Etc, etc?

20. Mincer

Mincer Member

I use all of the SD single coil-sized humbuckers...for dirtier music, (but not that heavy), the Lil 59 is my choice for the bridge, with a Cool Rails for the neck. It is sort of a 'classic rock' setup that doesn't get so compressed.