Anyone use Snake Oil "vintage" strings on a humbucker guitar?

NoahL

After months of waiting, I got my Snake Oils in the mail. So much time intervened that I had sold my G&L ASAT and am only playing a Hamer with humbuckers now. Snake Oils are meant for single-coil guitars but claim that they're good for humbucker axes, too. Is this your experience? I remember putting a set on an LP copy a few years ago and finding it dull-sounding. But that wasn't a sparkly guitar to begin with -- had old, high-impedance humbuckers. Maybe they'd sound good on my brighter Hamer? Reason I ask is that the damn things are expensive and hard to come by, and I'll just hold on to them or give them away rather than waste them on a guitar they're not suited for.

NoahL

About a month ago I inquired again and Dean told me he was finally shipping to everyone that week. Two weeks later, I inquired again, and he said they were on the way. Finally last week I got mine. I hope everyone else is getting theirs. He says they've ramped up production, finally -- makes it sound like there won't be any delays in the future. I suppose I'd have to say that I'll believe it when I see it. Glad to have the strings in the meantime, though. Anyone else use SN's on a humbucker guitar? I'm glad to see that one person does and likes them.

NoahL

you could e-mail dean farley at leomuser AT aol dot com. he's the guy who runs it

AJ Love

incredible strings... I prefer them with single coils but yes I've used em with humbuckers in the past and they sounded good

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I've never heard that SOBs are meant for single-coils. I've got them on all my guitars: single, humbucking, Z90 and think they add 20 years to the sound of the guitar. One of my guitars is a Chapin Stratahoula. It's got 2 single coils & a P90 in a single configuration. The wiring allows for single, humbucking, and various combinations with the P90. It didn't sound right until I got the SOBs on it. If they've got production back up to par, I'm happy.

I tried a set and clouds DID part. :D

My preferred string for all things electric now (regardless of pickups).

YMMV, of course.

Yossi

They are on all my guitars, humbucker, single coils and acoustic. I've been using them for years exclusively.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Never heard of them. What's they're selling point?

They're great because you pay, then wait for month upon month with no communication.

Then, when you have forgotten you ordered them, they majically appear and you throw them in a drawer in disgust.

You gotta cut the guy some slack though--those columns don't write themselves. Customers just have to wait.

tbp0701

Never heard of them. What's they're selling point?
In brief (and from my understanding), they are pure nickel strings made to capture more of a vintage tone. They were started by a man who did some research and wrote articles on the difference between older vs modern strings. He used to have a website, but it's gone, and he seems to have difficulty completing orders or effectively communicating with his customers, leading people to question if and how he'll stay in business.

Despite that, there are quite a few people who constantly rave about them, particularly on forums such as this. I haven't tried them, so I can't address that. I considered placing an order, but the price and difficulties put me off, especially since they are not the only pure nickel strings on the market. At any rate, that's what I've gathered by probably too much observation.

GreenKnight18

I too have only seen these strings mentioned in guitar forums. I have never tried them either, and I'd like to, but I've been overcome with gas attacks before and the resulting gear purchases have never quite lived up to the raves I've read.

Trending Topics