Anyone use Spin-a-Split Wiring?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by planetal, Jan 8, 2008.

1. planetal

planetal Member

On the duncan website there is wiring (for a humbucker) called spin-a-split which essentially uses a pot to mix between split coil and normal series wiring in a humbucker. I am interested in using it instead of the tone pot on the neck pickup of a les paul as I pretty much never use the tone on the neck during a gig, just the vol (I do use both vol and tone on the bridge pickup though).. Anyone use the spin a split type wiring? I'm assuming I'd use a 500K pot? Seems A LOT easier than wiring in a DPDT pot in the tone control.

Thanks
    Al

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes, I've used it many times, and it works very well. I don't do it like the Duncan diagram though, which is for splits instead of tone controls. You can have both...

Connect the middle terminal of the pot to ground instead. Fit the tone cap between the CCW terminal and the hot on the volume pot, and connect the coil-split junction to the CW terminal.

Now, you get single coil with the tone knob on 10, full humbucker with it on about 8, and normal tone control (on the humbucker sound) below that. The range of split tones isn't huge, but it isn't anyway and there's really no need to use a whole pot turn on it IMO.

Far better than using a pull-pot. The only thing you lose is the ability to have a rolled-down tone on the single-coil sound.

3. planetal

planetal Member

PERFECT!!! Although I have a stupid question... which lug is CCW vs CW?

Thanks so much John

Al

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

CC (clockwise) is the left one when you're looking at the back of the pot with the terminals facing you - how you normally see it in a guitar. CCW (counterclockwise) is the right-hand one, that would be grounded if it was a volume pot.

On standard Gibson wiring you may find that the middle terminal is grounded and the tone cap between the CCW and the volume pot already BTW - if so, literally all you have to do is connect the coil-split wires to the unused terminal.

5. planetal

planetal Member

John
    You're the best.. I do very much appreciate your help.. I can apparently just connect the coil split wires to the unused tap on the tone pot, which makes this a very easy process...

Thanks so much

Al

6. planetal

planetal Member

I finally tried John's method of wiring the tone control on one of my les pauls (a 4 wire WCR Crossroads neck.. I had a defective pot, and it took a while to get a new pot from RS)...
    Simply put.. THIS IS IDEAL for me.. I love the way this sounds and the flexibility it gives....

Mr Phillips. thanks once again for the tip.. Brilliant for sure

Al

7. rcl

rcl Member

That's a great idea! Never occured to me to double-duty the tone pot. I'll try it tonight. Thanks!

8. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I've now learned one more wiring trick. Thanks John!

9. genesiospinola

genesiospinola Member

Hi John! Could you help me, please!? I have a Studio LP Gibson, and has single-conductor humbuckers. How can i do this mod? Do you have any photos about the process? Thanks a lot!

10. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

You can't do it with that pickup. It has to have 4 conductor wiring.

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

sadly, john phillips apparently retired from around these parts as of a couple years ago. search his posts for a wealth of good info on just about everything.

12. Cosmitron

Cosmitron Member

Hi!
    I have 2 HBs, 3way switch, 1 volume and a tone I don't use. I'd like to turn this tone pot into a master Spin-a-Split. I've searched on the SD wiring section with no success. Is it doable?

13. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

This is great ... I wanna try it!

14. walterw

[​IMG] zombie thread wants braaaiiinnss! [​IMG]

anyway, i think you'd need a dual-ganged pot to do this, so you'd have one for each pickup.

you could put a 2-way rotary switch in there to split both pickups and keep the stock knob, but that's functionally the same as a plain ol' coil split toggle.

15. korus

korus Member

+1

or use this http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzi...-Pickup-Selector-Switch-100484995-i1134704.gc in place of tone pot,

to switch both pickups at the same time series-single-parallel, like a master switch - it is like having two regular on/on/on switches in one casing and with one toggle ...

spin-a-split is interesting but not very practical esp. used live ...

16. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

All I had to do was google [spin split humbucker] (without brackets) and the first link was what you were looking for!

schematics

from this page

makes me wonder what the hum would be like if you had one coil down 50%. I may try this tonight - I've been wanting to mod the tone pot on my #2 for a while now, but I hadn't decided what to do with it. I'll post back my results - maybe make some audio samples.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  17. walterw

you can expect the hum to increase directly as the sound of the one coil decreases.

18. Cosmitron

Cosmitron Member

Thanks! I was actually considering the 6 way toggle switch ala Jimmy Page but your solution would probably suit me better!. :)

19. Cosmitron

Cosmitron Member

Hahahah! Yeah I know Sorry. a lot of solution to consider... might try several. Thanks for that. :)

20. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

....and I'm gonna resurrect the resurrected thread!!!!

I just heard about this spin a split business and I want in!!!! My questions are:

Can I do it with a SD Cool Rails (will it sound ok)?
    What value/taper pot is preferrable?
    What are the pros/cons of it vs. parallel wiring?
    Any other advice/suggestions/wisdom?

Thanks!