Anyone Use Studio Monitors for Home Stereo ?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by robertkoa, Oct 12, 2017.

1. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Years ago I had Event 20/20 Passives that I used as Studio Monitors and Stereo Speakers. They were bass/ shy bass light at lower volumes I mixed at but cool Stereo Speakers.
    Just wondering what people use for double duty quiet Monitoring AND listening these days.

2. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I have the same speakers. They sound horrible as home audio speakers--- but great as monitors.

I wouldn't trust any sweet sounding speakers as proper monitors.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

All depends on one's taste in speakers, and the particular speaker. I've found that the term "studio monitor" doesn't describe a particular sound; such speakers can sound quite different from each other.

I've used the JBL LSR305 in both roles, and even in a home theater setting - great little speaker for dirt cheap.

yeky83 and pbmw like this.
  4. spence

spence Member

I've been using a pair of Neumann KH310A studio monitors in my living room for a while now. They are sealed, so placement isn't crucial for them to sound good. And boy do they sound good. They are compact, and they go low, into the 30's low. They are 3-way, with separate amps for each component. I have my basement studio connected to my living room, so I can listen to mixes in a living room environment, as well as a studio control room. They sound good with normal recorded media too, and I mean really good, but then these aren't your typical sub $1000 studio monitors either.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

I have a pair of KEF reference monitors that I’ve had since the 90’s that I use at home. They sound great.

6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

[​IMG]

For years I dreamed of the rig I've got and then I came across a fire sale and was able to get a pair of UREI 811Cs as my front pair in my surround array. Most people find that they are bass shy when not enclosed in a soffit and it has become the industry norm to subwoof them. I've done exactly that with a pair of Sony subwoofers. These speakers are the smoothest, most listenable, and least fatiguing of all the speakers I've worked on.

[​IMG]
    (with the covers off)​

The main monitors at the studio where I work are a pair of UREI 813B/Cs. I actually prefer the high-end of the redesigned C horns in my 811s at home.

Bob

mixsit and Pete Cage like this.
  7. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Supporting Member

Sorry for saying this, but those are possibly the ugliest speakers I've seen.

Bob Womack likes this.
  8. Dig ?

Dig ? Supporting Member

My house is 360 sq ft so my studio rig doubles as my stereo. I have a pair or jbl monitors and a pair of bowers & wilkins bookshelf speakers. the b&ws are better for home audio. But the jbls sound just fine too. However i really like to bounce between the two when mixing because it gives me a better idea of how it will truly sound. I like to take my mixes out to my car and lister there as well, just for reference

9. Davy

Davy Supporting Member

I have Dynaudio BM6As in my living room and they sound fantastic. Far better than all the "audiophile" speakers I've had over the years.

10. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

I have a pair of Tannoy monitors powered by a Creek integrated in my work shop. The combination sounds great!

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  11. kafkastiles

kafkastiles Member

A looong time ago I used a pair of JBL's in my system. Sounded great! They had bass & treble adjustments, though, which many don't. That helped fine tune to the overall warmth that I wanted. So, I would say, if you go that route you may want to consider a pair that has adjustment options... not just flat, like many are.

12. 2016aug29

I've found that for pure listening enjoyment, "flat" is overrated. Plus, when listening at low volumes, you need a bass and treble boost ("loudness") to compensate.

Jack Gilvey likes this.
  13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

Yes! That's just how the human ear works. Our hearing sensitivity is not "flat" and changes with overall SPL. I'm a hedonist when it comes to listening for pleasure, and I like a bit 'o bass boost.

2016aug29 likes this.
  14. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

I ran into a pair of JBL 4311s. They were a pleasant experience but not something I'd want to listen to for leisure.

15. spence

spence Member

Just like home stereo speakers, not all studio monitors are the same. While the main goal is to have a flat response, some (like my Neumanns) have the ability to make changes according to the room.

Rex Anderson likes this.
  16. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

Nothing screams "bachelor pad" like a pair of UREIs. But the sound...

Bob

2016aug29 likes this.
  17. spence

spence Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh Bob?

Bob Womack likes this.
  18. Laplacian

Laplacian Supporting Member

Adam 2.5A's plus 10" adam sub. Although, I sometimes crave more "warmth".

Also, haven't figured out best way to run -10db unbalanced into +4db balanced without adding noise.

19. 2016aug29

What is your signal chain?

20. Laplacian

Laplacian Supporting Member

Marantz SA8005 (Modwright) -10db unbalanced rca to Coleman Audio MP3H (passive balanced monitor controller) to monitors. Issue is impedance and length of cables.
    Also use a Oppo BDP-103 to hdmi out split to spdif to transformer to AESEBU into Lavry Blue DAC to monitor controller to monitors. (no issue on that, but no DSD)

Tried the radial stuff (active and passive), some passive DIs, either too quiet or creates noise. If I just run straight out of SA8005 into Monitors with short cables, no issue, but not a good functional set up.