1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Use Studio Monitors for Home Stereo ?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by robertkoa, Oct 12, 2017.

1. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

How about getting a different DAC with digital inputs and balanced outputs?

I'm using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Upsamling unit (in a "regular" hifi system), which can be had really cheap now.

2. Grobos Phunt

Grobos Phunt Member

I used to have a pair of Mackie HR824 MkI in my lounge controlled by a Musical Fidelity X-P100 pre-amp. Sounded good to my ears. I might look into setting this up again.

diego likes this.
  3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

To me, there are only good speakers and bad speakers. Good speakers can be used for both studio monitors and home stereo. Bad speakers just keep the circle of confusion going round and round.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/10/audios-circle-of-confusion.html

Read anything from Sean Olive.

Get the book, "Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers and Rooms" by Floyd Toole

I'm currently using Revel F208's. Spent over 30 years working as a professional recording and live sound engineer.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-performa3-f208-loudspeaker

Wyzard, yeky83 and mixsit like this.
  4. walnutprecision

walnutprecision Member

Since I've always been a working man on a tight budget, it was either buy pro sound gear or buy home audio gear, so my choice has always been to buy pro sound gear that has multiple uses... i.e., it is also my home stereo gear.

I've never been much of whatcha might call an "audiophile" but I have very good ears. I can certainly appreciate the high end components of home audio.

I'm thinking there are several ways to enjoy audio...

1) you record it yourself, mix it yourself, and listen to it during that process with studio monitors

2) you play it live, you mic it yourself, you mix it yourself (I'm a solo performer, so I do it myself), then you enjoy hearing what you play the same time you are giving it to a group of people, through pro audio gear

3) for me, since I have good sounding, quality pro audio gear, I plug whatever audio source into my mixer, and through my system at home, the same system I use on stage, it works for me

4) some people are thrilled to death with just a "boom box"... that's all my parents ever had (and it was kept in the kitchen, LOL) when I was growing up, they never once bought a home stereo... no idea how I became a musician with the almost negative value my folks put on music, haha

5) you can explore the budget behind a huge awesome home theater/home audio system. These things have advanced to amazing proportions these days. An I'm not talking about the kind of gear you get at BestBuy, etc... there are stores that specialize in only high-end home audio systems, and they will knock your socks off, if you got the ears to hear the difference (some people can't tell the difference between what they sell in these stores and a boom box, haha)

6) car stereo... now this to me (IMHO) is the biggest ripoff in the audio world... you spend ump-teen thousands of dollars to get "pristine audio", then you roll down the window and all you hear is the potholes tearing at your tires (i.e. road noise)... since the 1970s and my first pair of Jensen Triaxials, stuffed in the back window of my 1972 Dodge Coronet 4-door, I haven't bought one single piece of car stereo... but some people dig it... just not me, I'd rather buy pro audio gear I need... my entire music listening budget goes the pro audio direction, mostly from being a fairly poor, living week to week working stiff...

7) iPods, and mp3 players, etc, etc, etc... there's ample supplies of that in today's technologically brilliant world... and a good set of ear buds... back in my day it was a (yellow color) cassette AM/FM Sony Sports Walkman (their most durable version back in the day), and at work, I had a set of Nakamichi headphones I adored... the little plastic Walkman headphones always had tons of distortion to drive you nuts... and I've never liked the earbud type headphones like they have today, it has never been very comfortable to stick vibrating doo-dads in your ears to reproduce sound, these days its my AKG K240's that I like the most as far as a middle-of-the-road decent sounding headphone...

8) Audio receiver to headphones... there are hundreds, probably thousands of choices for headphones these days...

9) and maybe my favorite of all... sitting next to a large waterfall, listening to all of the power and audio frequencies it naturally creates... most likely the least expensive and most enjoyable audio experience I can have (IMHO)... one of my favorites being the short canoe ride over to the secluded island and listening to the larger upper Tahquamenon Falls, way up in the upper peninsula of Michigan... mesmerizing like nothing else I can describe

5. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

No discussion of monitors would be complete without the mention of the Altec 604 series. That series of speaker was used in the production of soundtracks for radio/tv/motion pictures, and music recording, for over 40 years,, more often then all other makes combined.
    And, even before the 604, Altec virtually dominated the the recording/reproduction of soundtracks, both in voice, and music, dating back into the '30s.
    Even if you're of a young age, if your mom was pregnant with you in the '70s>'80s, and was listening to any music, or going to the movies,, you were being exposed to the Altec sound, whether it be from an album mixed-down with Altec, or a movie soundtrack that not only was mixed-down with Altec, but was being reproduced in the theater with Altec.
    For two or three generations of listeners/movie goers, the sound of Altec is in your brain without you even realizing it.
    And,, a lot of Altec gear is still being used in studio mixing applications.

Jackie Treehorn likes this.
  6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I have used my Alesis Monitor Ones from the 90s as home audio speakers, and flip side, I have used my 90s Infinity SL5 as studio monitors once for another reference on a mix.
    My office laptop is connected to a pair of KRK Rokit 5 and KRK 10" sub. This is just for listening and practicing via Garageband.

pale fire likes this.
  7. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

I use Cerwin Vega XD4 monitors with an XD8 sub woofer in my 10x10 room Without the sub woofer the speakers themselves are really good but I wish I got the XD5s which have a little more power and better lower end.

8. yeky83

yeky83 Member

At the high end of home audio are audiophile equipments. Their performance is judged for all the same things a studio monitor is judged for, except they tend to charge a lot more and have worse performances for cool looks or funky designs. In addition, there's a lot more emotional value attached to audiophile equipment than pure performance.

I agree with the person that said good speakers are good speakers. Go for the studio monitors, much more bang for buck. What you will have trouble with is integrating active monitors into a usual home sound system which expects a passive speaker. Up to you on how to remedy that, either get passive studio monitors, or an audio receiver that can pass audio to active monitors.

9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a pair of 1979 4311's which were only used in a home at moderate volume. They are excellent for a lot of kinds of music.

fishleehooker likes this.
  10. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I have a pair of JBL 4412 monitors in the TV room. I have a pair of 4311 monitors down in the music room. The 4311 are broadcast monitors and are bass heavy, I think to keep DJ folks from booming out over FM. The 4412 I like a lot more. They can also take a lot of power.

11. claudel

claudel Member

I've been piping some of the flacs in my iPad thru my shiny new Jbl Lsr30s and it sounds pretty darn good for cheap stuff...

12. oakfloor

oakfloor Member

I have a set of Event 20/20's in my work shop, they are a near field monitor and sound good when your directly between them, but get back a ways and not so good.

13. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

I have a pair of JBL L100's, which are quite similar to 4311's, 4312's etc. And a pair of Event 20/20 bas powered monitors, but I usually don't listen to recorded music through the Event's.

fishleehooker likes this.
  14. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

i've used HS-8 yamahas .....not bad...not thrilling. bit harsh. i use pa speakers ...jbl 1x15 and they have a huge bottom end and sound great for peanuts. for more detailed stuff like jazz and classical i use some biamped shearwater hot rods....electrostatic like smoothness
    in a two way system. i would like to audition the Revel F208's mentioned earlier....but they are not stocked almost anywhere

15. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I have a pair of 4312s that I rotate in and out sometimes. Really good speakers. Sure there are better. But I like that the looks are iconic and that they do sound great. I think the L100s have really cool frames. Orange or blue ideally.

Tonekat likes this.