Anyone use the Clearsonic amp shields?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RGB, May 17, 2006.

1. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

...or something similar? Here's a link:

http://www.clearsonic.com/a2-4_amp_shield.html

I went to Home Depot and bought some Lexan sheets and built myself a shield as an experiment. It actually worked quite well, from the building standpoint, but in my first trial it really changed the tone of the cab, in addition to doing what I had in mind. I had it in a room in my house, in front of a 1x12 with nothing behind the cab, (just the wall). It really gave the amp a kind of nasal tone that really sucked. I assume it's the reflection off the wall behind the amp and I wonder if the "Sorber" panels are required behind the amp to stop this effect, or if it's just something that you have to live with to use this type of device....or is it my choice of material?

Any insight?

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I use the Clearsonic.

You are getting phase cancellations; and yes it can sound nasal. You have to move the shield out or angle it around (with the folds you can do, it works pretty well to change it up).

The best bet is to move it out from the speakers.

It isn't a perfect solution, but if you think about it - you are blocking the sound and it's bouncing around behind a sheet of plastic. :D

In practice, it works fantastically in a live situation allowing you to crank the amp up and you don't notice any funky phase issues very much in a band context.

It's just tool, it works and like most things has its issues to deal with.

3. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I built mine with only 3 panels, which may have been a mistake since it reduces the angle options, but I'll try moving it out and see how that works. The problem is that in a lot of the tiny clubs I play, I usually don't have much room. I should have recognized that tone as phase cancellation! I wonder if the Sorber panels would change that aspect? Do you use them, Scott, or just the A2-4?

I also wonder if using a different material, wood, felt, etc. might yield different results? Maybe I should just break down and buy Clearsonic's system, but if it sounds like mine, I don't think it would get much use!

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I just use the sheild. Try it live before you trash the idea, you'll find the postives far outweigh the negatives IMHO.

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've used one for a couple of years. Move it out as far as possible and angle it a bit. I have a sorber in my studilo which helps, but live I just use the panel. Soundmen love it. I'm playing this weekend opening up for Lee Roy Parnell and I'll use a Suhr OD100 Classic and a Marshall 1959HW with a Divided By 13 4x12 cab and I won't get any volume complaints, never do with the panel.

Take it to a few gigs and try different distances, it should sound better.

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Will do! I bought enough material to build two shields, but I'm playing a tiny club on Friday where I can only set up one amp, so I figure I'll try it out and either build another or return the material....or if it still isn't working, I may try the real deal from Clearsonic. I love my Train 45, but I hate to attenuate it to death and it's a LOUD 45 watts!

Sure do appreciate the advice!

7. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I made mine out of lexan (3 panels) and I haven't had any problems with phase cancellation or tone. It usually sits about 1 foot in front of the cab. It has saved many a hairdoo in front of the stage...

8. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

What thickness of Lexan did you use? I used the .093 (I think it was) material....about 1/8"....but now I see the Clearsonics are 1/4" material.

9. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I have the Clear Sonics and Sorber panels. The Sorber Panels are the bomb with clears in my enviornment. No phase cancellations at all. Thick tones and reduced volumes. I have the 2 4' Sorber Panels that bend in middle, very easy to move around (with handles) and even use as kind of a vocal booth etc. Add a little attenuation and very pleased with the driven tones without blistering my ears. I also used some pedals to help out as well. Not sure one thing works, I find it is the sum of all that gets me where I want to be.

10. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I'd think the Sorber panels would be a big plus, but I don't know how often I'd have room for them, unfortunately. In the studio, I'm sure they're indispensable. I use the Auralex Grammas under my cabs when they're not in the road case bottoms too. I really believe in trying to make every room as acoustically friendly as possible and I like to spare the crowd's ears as well!

I appreciate the input, guys!

11. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Just wanted to say thanks again for all of your help!

I did a little experimenting with distance and angles and just a slight difference in angle has a huge effect on the phase cancellation! Distance made some difference too, but the angle is the key. I'm sure this is going to work out great and once again, I really appreciate the suggestions.

12. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Yes, the Aurlex Grammas are part of my set up as well. Highly recomend to get the really thick tones. Again the sum of all. I keep experimenting with all the possible ways to sound treat rooms, bass traps, etc and find it makes a HUGH difference.