Anyone use the GigRig PowerStation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JRBain, Feb 21, 2008.

1. JRBain

JRBain Member

Is it a good power supply? It looks good in terms of specs, but I can't find a review anywhere. How does it compare to a PP2 or Fueltank (or anything else)? It's quite a lot cheaper than the PP2 over here, so it's an attractive option.

Any thoughts? Thanks

:cool:

2. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

I made the mistake of telling the engineer who designed it that I thought it was cheap! I was then privvy to a lesson on how noisy power supplies are usually, and how they sag when underspec'd. Apparently the components were chosen to be the quietest and the most powerful available.

I saw it in use at the London Guitar Show powering 50 pedals!

Needless to say I now use one.

I also heard that they are planning to bring out a battery simulator with a toroidal transformer to isolate the pedal. Can't wait to try one of those with my Fuzz Face and noisy Line 6 pedals.

3. JRBain

JRBain Member

Cool - Thanks. As said, it looks great, and the price is definitely right. May get one soon :)

4. JRBain

JRBain Member

Anyone else? (shameless bump)
    :)

5. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

Do you mean the Gig Rig Generator, by any chance?

I just picked up one of those secondhand on eBay last week for £45 and my initial impressions are that it is very very good indeed. As quiet as any PSU I've tried and a third of the size and weight of any other I've seen. It doesn't seem to solve the problem of noisy Line 6 Tonecore pedals, which simply don't like daisy-chains, but then nothing else seems to either. My L6 Leslie is b**tard noisy!

I'm very intrigued by Gig Rig's new "Virtual Battery" transformer/adaptor, which is supposed to overcome such problems, but it doesn't seem to be on the market yet. Don't suppose anyone here has tried one have they?

6. JRBain

JRBain Member

Yes, that is the new name. It looks great. I'll get one, when finances allow. The Virtual Battery looks great as well - I'm sure there are pedals that could make use of that; I'm surprised someone else hasn't marketed such a product already. (have they?)

7. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Any dealers in the USA that can get their stuff? I'm gassing for a Pro-14 looper.

8. spacestation

spacestation Member

Bumping this old thread. Does anyone here use a Generator for Devi fuzzes or Eventide factor pedals? Does that work and how's that sound? Thanks!

9. TD Moyer

TD Moyer Member

I'm powering up a full board using the Gigrig generator with 2 Distributors. Pedals include a Fulltone '69 (powered by a Virtual battery) and a 24v Destination Rotation Single (using their Electroman 9>24v adaptor), My board is dead quiet.

I never thought anything would come along that knocked my Juicebox off my board but with all the different adaptors now available there's almost nothing you can't power off the Generator.