1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use the Tascam Guitar Trainer?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Dustin, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Dustin

Dustin Supporting Member

I've been getting away from learning songs from TAB and trying to learn by ear.

The Tascam CD-GT1 seems like it might be really useful, especially the ability to slow the tempo down and the looping features.

Any praise, complaints, other recommendations, etc.?

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The best $150.00 I ever spent. Fabulous training tool. But be sure to get the AC adapter with it...it eats batteries. AC

3. Grun

Grun Member

I bought one and sent it back.
    It will really depend on your learning style and what else you have available. If you have a computer you can use a free program like audacity for basically the same thing. If you have any kind of digital recording software, it can be much more effective. I found it very frustrating to get the loop points how I wanted. I ended up just loading stuff into protools and setting markers etc. which are now always there and do not have to be reprogrammed every time I want to look at the song. Admittedly that is a little overkill, but it is so much nicer and easier. For the $150 you could probably buy some recording software and be way ahead of the game on all counts, if you don't already have some. YMMV, etc.

4. WhosYourPal

WhosYourPal Member

MY CD-GT1 has been sitting on my shelf for over a year now. Not because it's not useful, but because I've got a digital modeler that interfaces with my computer. So this allows me to use the Amazing Slow downer and have better tone. It also makes it easer to just queue up a song off my hard drive rather pulling out a CD, etc.

5. lpengineer

lpengineer Member

I have wondered about this subject for sometime. Like Dustin, I too have tried to learn stuff by ear, but I dont have anything to slow down the recording. So I tend to use Tab instead. What type of "digital modeler" or "digital recording software" will work with a typical PC w/ windows? Any thoughts would help. Thanks!

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

All that digital computer based stuff is fine for you tech/recording savvy guys, but for dinosaurs like me?...love the simplicity of the GT1. AC

7. WhosYourPal

WhosYourPal Member

lpengineer, I have a Digitech GNX4 which I think is a fanatastic practice tool. The features that I like are:
    • An 8 track recorder which also doubles as a looper
    • Drum machine with quite a number of drum loops
    • MP3 player
    • Interfaces to your computer via USB
    • Headphone jack (this feature is priceless! ;-)
    When I plug it into my computer, it shows up as a soundcard. So I can use any music software to output to the GNX and mix my guitar in.

AaeCee, I agree whole heartedly (sp?) - you need a certain level of technical prowess to enjoy this kind of setup. But not a whole lot.

8. lpengineer

lpengineer Member

WhosYourPal, this might sound stupid but does the Digitech GNX4 allow you to slow songs down? I have really no experience with any type of device that allows you to slow music down. I am hoping to get some advice. Thanks.

9. Dustin

Dustin Supporting Member

The computer based stuff sounds cool, but my computer is getting a little long in the tooth.

I like the portability of the Tascam, too.

Although I am planning on buying some basic recording equipment in the near future, as well.

Maybe I should just get a nice laptop computer, and Pro Tools, or whatever.

10. WhosYourPal

WhosYourPal Member

No, the GNX4 itself doesn't have the capability. However, Pro Tracks Plus comes bundled with the unit. So you can use that to slow down a song. I've also seen, but not used, plugins for Windows Media Player that allow you to slow down a song.

11. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    I like the Tascam...You don't have to load the tunes into the computer just pop in any CD and it does it in real time.. Lowers speed without changing pitch..change keys, fine tune the tuning, Plug your guitar right into it and play along ...it has a tuner. Take it anywhere, ..Use headphones with it for silent learning. Sure there are more elaborate ways of going about this that may have more precise better quality results, but this gets the job done with a minimal learning curve, no interfacing required. Quick and easy and cheap and portable.

Dennis

12. Dustin

Dustin Supporting Member

Exactly why I was interested in getting one.

13. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I usually load it as a stereo wav in Sonar then change the tempo slower. You could do this with just about any recording software if you have it.

Takes a little time ripping the cd and all but it works...

Richard