Anyone use Weber Silver Bells in a blackface Fender?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cerebralpaul, Feb 10, 2008.

1. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Tell me all about it...

2. Axe_78th

Axe_78th Member

I have a pair of blackface non reverb Deluxes and have been looking to replace the V30's I used for years. I've been thru many speakers recently both alnico and ceramic and have found the ceramic Silver Bell is the one I'm looking for. Great low end. I have found I can turn the bass up to 7 or even 8 and it doesn't flub out, at least in my case. My Silver Bell must be broken in as I have used it in a 1X12 cabs for a couple of years, many hours of playing. Big warm tone with plenty of detail for me. I liked it better than my ceramic Blue Dog. My Weber's are 50 watt, light dope, and I prefer a 16 ohm speaker in my Deluxes.

3. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I've put silver bells in few BF Deluxe amps with good results. People looking for a little British flavor out of their Fender...

<M

4. doublee

doublee Member

Why a 16 ohm?

5. Axe_78th

Axe_78th Member

It's a slightly warmer tone than an 8 ohm in a Deluxe. I started doing it years ago when I was using V30's in them. You could really hear the difference with those speakers. It took some of the ice pick out and I couldn't see any real volume difference. Also the tubes last a little longer according to Gerald Weber. He once told me when he built harp amps for Kim Wilson of the T Birds that Kim liked the impedance mismatch as well. Heck I mismatch in my JTM45 head. I run a 16 ohm cab with the head set to 8. In the case of the Silver Bell , I have an 8 ohm alnico and a 16 ohm ceramic. Both sound great and warm in my Deluxe. I ended up liking the ceramic the best.

6. James Knox

James Knox Member

After going through a JBL D120, a Celestion Gold, Weber Blue Dog. Weber Blue Dog Ceramic, I settled on a Weber Silver Bell in my 1964 Blackface Princeton Reverb.

LOVE IT - very full, excellent note separation, good detail, nice bass response. I put the Cele Gold in an extension cab - together, excellent freq response and SPL!

Peace,

James