Anyone use......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Aug 6, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

foambymail to use in there amp room to cut down flutter and other sounds? Or is the Aurelex stuff that much better. I have 2 inch 2' by 2' and 1 inch 1' by 1' foam pads from foambymail all over my amp room and it is dead quiet in here and it was half the price of the aurelex stuff, but I wonder if the Aurelex is better or is foam just foam?

2. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

No one? I would have thought alot of you guys had home studios and would know about this stuff

3. cram

cram Member

auralex provides performance data for frequencies. They truly indicate that for certain ranges they are effective and when they drop off. That company you're citing there "foambymail" doesn't have any info that I can find on their website.
    This is usually indicitive of a company that's using a material that may not perform. I don't know this for a fact because they don't seem to have that information.
    What they do provide in their "sound proofing products" section is a contact us link. I would email them and ask them for a data sheet if they have one. Get the one auralex has available on their site to compare.
    I quote sound proofing because they've also done a no-no in labelling those products that way. They are diffusor panels and not in anyway isolating sound within a space like "sound proofing" indicates.

If you're handy, I'd build panels out of 703 rigid fiberglass, 1x4' pine and fire retardant fabric to cover and do even better than auralex does. ;)

4. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Well, I hope the foam by mail is good enough, I am not trying to sound proof the room, but really kill all echo and reverb that comes naturally in the room.

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Maybe the reason why you didn't get much in the way of response is you posted in the amps & cabs section rather in the recording section where the subtlies of foam are discussed almost as much as Dumble amps and John Mayer. :D

6. cram

cram Member

it may be good enough for your use, but to really answer your question you should look at frequency range effectiveness and also placement for reflection points. If you have paralell positions and you have listenning points in mind you can do a good job to cut down on this effect.

7. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Well, Dont know too much about accostics but the wall where my amps are at is completely covered in the 1 inch foam, and then I have the larger 2 inch 2' by 2' pannels placed around the other walls of the room. The foam servers 2 purposes , to reduce flutter echo and reverb, and to provide cushion for the guitars that are hanging on the wall(my son can reach the guitars and swing them back and forth hitting the wall, so now they just hit foam) so far he cant yank one of the wall yet:crazy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you want out of this thread.
    It seems like you were asking "is this stuff as good as the Aurelex" and cram gave you some great informed advice, but now all you want to do is kill echo and reverb...and say that you hope is it good enough.

It probably is. Sound-proofing I think can mean two distinctly different things...one: keeping outside sounds out, and inside sounds in, and two: making as frequency-neutral a room as possible. Not sure which one you are referring to, but "cram"'s advice sure sounds like the way to go if you are really interested in finding out if it is worth the extra bucks.

If you only care about killing echo and 'verb...and the foam you use now does it...then it sounds like there is nothing more to say?

9. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Well, I am not trying to sound proof the room, maybe I dont understand what the aurelex stuff is for.

I guess I wanted to kill the reverbation in the room so when I mic my amps I get 100% dry signal without room noise. I mean isnt that what its for? If you have a large room with hardwood floors and you are recording dont you need something to soak up the echo?

10. cram

cram Member

If you're intending to get a dead sound from a close mic, then you may benefit from making a speaker baffle at a non parallel angle to enclose your cab/amp. Then line the inside with that same stuff. This will get you close to what you want in this regard.

- e.g. if you walk into a closet wtih clothse hanging on both sides, you can hear that the reflective sounds are absorbed in nearly all frequency ranges.

or -

get an isolation box speaker.

--- any measure to kill reflection and encourage an odd angle of refraction is good. Do searches for hemholtz traps, slot obsorbers, resonator banks and the like if you are interested in this end of things.

This guy - Ethan Winer is a Geek and a God in the acoustics world. Good stuff.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008