Anyone used a BBE Sonic Stomp or Maximizer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stu42, Nov 13, 2005.

1. stu42

stu42 Member

I'm curious about the BBE sonic stomp. Has anyone tried one? Do they really do anything useful? Under what conditions would you use it - clean, overdriven, etc?

From what I've read it sounds like they might add a little more sparkle and punch to the sound. Is that right?

2. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I bought a BBE and was totally disappointed. I imagine it would have a lot a applications in a studio environment, but for using it in front of an amplifier it sucked. Spend your money on a good booster pedal (there are lots and lots). It will be designed for its application. The BBE is a studio toy that some marketing guy is trying to pawn off on guitar players (IMHO)

3. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

The BBE sounds best after the preamp - in the FX loop. They tend to scoop the mids a bit, and live in a band situation, they can make your guitar "lost" if used to excess.

However, in the loop of my old Marshall 2205, it was one of the best sounds I've ever heard. The one I had (and still have) is the first generation rackmount 411. Not sure if they've changed the formula over the years, or how that new stomp is supposed to run, but used in the loop of any amp, it can add "more" clarity and punch by adding around 50hz and 5k.

4. cameron

cameron Member

I can't see the point in putting the Sonic Maximizer in front of an amp. There is a place for them in an effect loop. Lots of Mesa/Boogie players use them to counteract the muddy voicing of Boogie amps. I suspect most recorded Boogie tones you hear have the Sonic Maximizer either in the effect loop, or added in the mix.

5. stu42

stu42 Member

Thanks guys. It doesn't really sound that compelling from what you guys are saying. If I get a chance maybe I'll check one out some time just to see what it does.

I won't put it on my short list though.

6. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I've heard a Sonic Maximizer used in front of a Vox AC30 with good results; it works as an EQ as well in that particular application.

I think its all in the application, its not going to be a benefit to every rig.

7. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I bought the 8 series one to run in the effects loop of my SLO-100 and it killed the tone. Put it back in the box and returned it. Made the tone thinner sounding.

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have an Aphex 204 here in my rack. I use it on occasion to "analog-ize" a drum or synth track. The only time I used it with a guitar amp was in the loop of a Duoverb but sadly, even that didn't help. The Aphex does sound better than the BBE though, imo.

9. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

It is the last pedal in my chain. It has an excellent buffer; it adds presence and air to the highs; it tightens the bass. It does the same thing as the Stinger but is better since it is TBP.

It is a staple of my sound.

10. stu42

stu42 Member

Interesting. Looks like we have some mixed experiences - which, I suppose, is normal. I believe I'll have to take my own amp to the store and see what it does for it. I know a bass player that uses something like the BBE Sonic Stomp constantly. I don't know what model he uses but apparently he more-or-less can't live without it.

...Sorta like some people and their coffee!!:)

11. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Some people hate coffee, too! But I don't, and I really like my Sonic Maximizer (362), placed between my Triaxis and my power amp. I know it's not the Stomp, but it is the same technology.

I also would not recommend it before the preamp, but after it. For me, the SM clarifies and defines at all frequencies, and especially tightens the low end. I could live without it if I never had heard it, but its too late now. I even bought a teensy lil' BBE unit to put in my home stereo - what a walloping difference!

- T