Anyone used a BYOC Tonebender?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by loosegroove, Dec 8, 2005.

1. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

I was just curious how it sounded in comparison to other Tonebender fuzzes like the Fulltone Soul Bender and PE Yardbox, both of which I like. The sound clips on the BYOC website sound more high gain distortion than classic MkII Tonebender, but the playing on the clips really didn't allow me to get a good feel for the pedal, so maybe it was just the clips?

2. Upgrade

Upgrade Member

I too am interested in this pedal. Anyone tried the BYOC Efx?

3. axolotls

axolotls Guest

i did the ranger clone, it sounds amazing.

4. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I own one of his pre-BYOC Treble Boosters, which is awesome, but only heard the clips of the MKII. They sound accurate, the original MKII's are pretty high gain. The Soulbender and Yardbox are not accurate clones of the MKII. They are closer in design to the MKIII.

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I'm interested in the BYOC tonebender too. BTW, what's the tonal diff between the MKII & III?
    Thanks.
    Greg

6. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i made the delay, tremolo, tri-booster and one of the fuzz clones. my friend uses the fuzz on his bass. he didn't like it at first but i changed out the transistors to 2 of the different ones that were supplied (i can have him check and see which ones he liked better but it is for his bass). the delay, tremolo and tri-booster that i use are all fantastic. superb values and lot sof fun to build and paint the cases.

7. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

...mine's one of the older non-LED ones. It is indeed quite a bit more high gain than either Soulbender or Yardbox, both of which I've owned a couple of. Even at its lowest setting it's very much in your face, it sustains forever and then some. I dig it but have trouble fitting it into many of my band's tunes (always get the hairy eyeball when I kick it on), so don't use it on stage much. Compared to Soulbender I'd say it's gainier and less woofy, compared to Yardbox it's gainier and much phatter. -Guy

8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks Guy...so it's fairly smooth? That's what I like about the Soulbender (at least compared to the 70s pedal).
    Greg

9. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

Hey Guy, I think I actually purchased the Yardbox off you quite a while ago (and sold it way long ago). Did you get another one?