Anyone used a Lollar Single coil for Humbucker pickup - P-90-ish in a HB space

infiniteposse

I'm trying to find the right neck pup for an ongoing tele project I've been futzing with for ages. Right now it's got a Harmonic Designs p-90 tele bridge pup in it that's really nice. Higher output, nice cut and growl. In the neck I've got a TV Jones Magnatron that just feels a little too polite with the bridge pup. I was thinking this Lollar pup might be a good fit and create a total P-90 vibe in the tele that'll just work well.

The body of the guitar is ash and the neck is maple/maple FB, so it tends to be kind of bright.

Thoughts? Anyone got one of these pups in their guitars? How's it pair with other pups?

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/me...duct_Code=265&Category_Code=humbucker-pickups

Thanks!

coldfingaz

I'd email Lollar and ask about this combination. The one issue you could have & maybe need to be careful about is putting something too hot in the neck that overpowers the Harmonic Design S-90 (I'm assuming that's the Tele pup you're referring to). The HD S-90 is a monster pickup. But, I made the mistake a while back of putting together a Partscaster with a Lollar P90 in the bridge. It was much higher output than the S-90 in the bridge so I ultimately wasn't happy with the pairing. But, I loved both of those pickups so I now have a couple Esquires (one with an HD S-90 & another with a Lollar P90).

If there's a way to resolve the hotter output of the neck (maybe by changing the pots?), I'd suggest a Lollar P90. It won't be too polite!

morgan918

I've been thinking about doing pretty much exactly what you've got on a thinline body. TV Jones neck and a bitey single coil bridge. Too polite in general?

infiniteposse

Great feedback. Thanks!

Morgan - The Magnatron is a little soft" if that makes any sense. The S-90 is rude, brash and cutting. It's also louder than then Magnatron, so it just compounds the difference. I'm going to play the guitar some more and mess with the TV Jones pups height a little bit more, which I may have done in the past. I had the guitar strung up for Nashville tuning for a while, so this is the first time in ages it's been properly strung, so I'm reacquainting myself with the guitar.

Thanks again!