Anyone used humbucker sized P90's?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by suckamc, Jul 22, 2008.

1. suckamc

suckamc Member

If you've directly compared them w/real P90's, how close were they?

mark

2. FAC

FAC Member

I have a les paul loaded with Duncan Phat Cats. They sound great, and they are a particularly cool alternative for the neck pickup (although I have them in all positions in this guitar). They are quieter than the regular P90's in my les paul special double cut (probably because they come with a metal pickup cover that provides some shielding). The P90 "vibe" is there for sure, but I would not say they sound exactly like P90's. Some days I actually like the Phat Cats better...perhaps I would describe them as a bit less "raw" sounding than a P90 (just a bit).

3. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Try GFS pickups..
    Both their Mean 90s and Dream 90s are hell good..

Why should they differ from "real" P90s btw?
    It's the same coil, in a different housing.. Kinda like giving a TS a new enclosure, but it's still a TS! :rolleyes:

4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I have vintage vibes in my guild, great sound, pretty close to p90s tonally.

5. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I have the Dimarzio Bluesbuckers in my custom Mahogany bodied tele. I like them a lot as they are more twangy then your standard humbucker but not as quacky as a true p90. They are in the ballpark but still a little different. The advantage is they are Noiseless. No 60 cycle hum like the standard P90's. If you are looking to nail the true P90 tone I'd recommend something else. Overall I'd still highly recommend them to anyone looking for something a little different.

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I compared Rio Grand bastard and Fat Bastard set to mid 60's SG/LP with P-90's and it was the SAME.

7. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Right, except no.

Different sized coil, different sound. Sound good, but not exactly like a '90
    (all else equal).

OH! and........:rolleyes:

;)

8. Canadian Steve

Canadian Steve Member

There are 'real' P90s out there with the same sized coils. Bare Knuckle Pickups Mississippi Queens are real P90s in humbucker enclosures.

9. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

So are the Phat Cats (real P90 coil with the edges trimmed to fit, but stock P90 coil, according to SD). Why might they sound different from vintage P90's? The Phat Cats use alnico 2 magnets instead of the more typical alnico 5 that Gibson uses/used, they have metal covers which reduce some noise and may have other sonic effects, and for all I know they may use different wire gauge or type. I installed a Phat Cat neck pickup in an ash Tele and a Phat Cat set in a PRS McCarty Standard with IRW neck. They are in the P90 camp, but the Phat Cat bridge pickup in my McCarty sounds smoother and more polite than the P90 in my Gibson Custom VOS LP Jr DC. Then again, my McCarty sounded smoother and more polite with the stock HBs compared to my LP Classic with SD 59's. I also have heard many comments (with my ears to support them) that the alnico 2 Lollar P90s sound smoother and more polite than Gibson P90s.

In any case, the Phat Cats sound bigger, more open, and more dynamic than the stock pickups in my McCarty or the SD 59s in my LP. It all depends on what you're really looking for in tone.

10. muddy

muddy Member

the clips of the sheppie p90's sound awesome! unfortunately for me, they don't have 'em hb-sized. i've been talkin' to kev who owns smit's hm/hw git pup's (in tenn)

http://www.smitsparts.com/index.htm

about rewinding my z-90 (it bit the dust yesterday) purely on the sound of his hb's. i might even try his ultra 7t (on his recommendation) in the bridge pos of my sg/lp (which has the z-90), which he uses alnico 8 mag's for. they're pretty single-coily for a hb, but with more body, obviously. he does some fairly innovative work with his choice of mag's & winding. we'll see... but anyway, his prices are in-bloody-kreddible for the caliber of his work. & he's a good player, too. worth checking out, i rekkon'.

ml

11. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

I had some P-90's in my Guild Bluesbird and now have the Fralin P-92, that fit in the HB slot. Best description = a cross between PAF and P-90 but they sound beautiful and musical + NO NOISE!

12. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I've owned a few sets of Z-90's, & still use them, in my mahogany strat. I tried several humsized options, but kept coming back to the Z-90's, which were the original pickups in this guitar. I shoulda stopped while I was ahead, but I wanted to try a few different things, & I ended up putting the Z-90's back in, twice! They're a great match, & the neck is especially juicy & toneful.
    I ended up going with a RS 280k superpot for volume, & .022 Hovland Musicap for my tone cap. The superpots have a great response over their range, especially if you like to work your guitar volume, which I do... The 280k pots work just fine with the Z90's, & I actually like them better than 500k pots... Combine that with 50's wiring, & you get no loss of high's when you roll the volume down.
    Z-90's don't really sound like P-90's, they definitely have their own thing going on, & to my ears they sound like no other pickups I've tried. They're fairly quiet for singlecoils, & they sound sorta like a big, beefy, 900lb strat pickup on steroids. Clarity, punch, & chime is all there... With the volume rolled down they are sweet, but dime the volume & they have some teeth! The bridge can definitely get you into modern rock territory if you want, & the neck is great for soloing too. It never gets wooly or overly dark like some hummers can. They retain their clarity thruout their range, & your guitar still sounds like your guitar... You can still tell my mahogany strat is a strat, it's just not your everyday, garden variety, milktoast strat, which was exactly what I was trying to accomplish with the Z-90's...

13. Medication

Medication Member

I love my BG Pickups bridge Pure 90 pickup (http://www.bg-pups.com/h90.html Scroll down)

I have 2 other semi-hollows with strictly p-90s and the Pure 90 is the closest I've found to a P-90 sound in a humbucker. I've tried the Gibson P-94 (cool sound, but not close to a P-90), Duncan (same issue), and I went with BG.

Couldn't be happier.

14. Dale

Dale Member

Z-90's here as well.

15. muddy

muddy Member

know why i prefer z-90's to real p90's? because you get all that expressiveness, response, & all those lovely vowels that sc's are so good at, without that boxiness in the bottom end. they're still articulate on the bottom strings, but without being strident. & you get that even, almost creamy width that you get from a hb's bottom 3 strings. really, it's a diff animal. i think so, anyway.

ml