Anyone used / using a Weber Beam Blocker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitar Josh, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Thinking about picking one up for each of my amps. Any experience with them?

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Been using one in my Matchless Chieftain 1x12 or about a year now. REALLY helps reduce the beaminess of the speaker, and saves the ears of the folks directly in front of me.

Highly recommended!

3. straticus

straticus Member

I've been using them in my 2x12 closed back cab for the past year. They're one of the best things I've done for my tone. The cab sounds the same (fantastic) no matter where I stand and it's much easier to hear my rig on stage due to better sound dispersion. I can run my amp a bit louder on stage with out blasting the people in the front row.

Plus, the cab just sounds better.

A great product all around!

4. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Anyone use them in a 4x10 combo?

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Do they seem to work better in a closed back cab vs open backed?

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

I was skeptical on these things, but I'm a believer now. Took 100% of the high gain fizziness away from my Soldano rig.

7. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I have them in my 1x12's and they spread the sound like they advertise.

8. doublee

doublee Member

I put one in my Deluxe and IMO it helps somewhat but I wouldnt really go as far as some of the other respondants. One thing for sure: it doesnt hurt anything and it doesnt cost much. Concept makes total sense. I believe you need to use a router or something to sink the frame of it 1/4" into the baffle, at least thats how I did it

9. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Why...?!?

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 Great for any speaker-bright or not! Bob

11. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Supporting Member

I have them on a 4x12 cab and a 2x12 cab...really helps reduce the beaminess and disperse the highs. They have more of an effect on closed back cabs. One of these day I'll put them on my 4x10 cab which can cut a hole in the wall its so beamy.

12. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I have them in an openback Bruno 212 - can't speak any more highly of them. They add to the 3dimensionality of a speaker and avoid the sharpness of the beam.

13. Ginglymus

Ginglymus Member

I'm using a pair in an Earcandy Buzzbomb loaded with two Altec 417s. As with many of the previous comments, I noticed more even sound dispersion and less cutting highs directly in front.

14. UMT

UMT Member

I built one for less than $5.00 and about an hours worth of my time which I would've spent screwing around with my amp anyway! I don't know what the Weber is made out of but I tested a metal 'cone' and plastic, and the plastic had a noticable difference Works great! I made the cone out of a sump pump float (.99 at hardware store) by cutting it in half (roughly) with my dremel tool. That and a 12" piece of strip brass from the local hardware store, 2 L shaped pieces of brass that I bent and drilled holes into, a couple nuts/bolts and a quick blast of black paint on the metal and WALLAH!

I'm sure Weber makes a fine product and the price looks very reasonable but I enjoy putzing around with stuff like this. It does work!

What material does Weber use to make theirs?

UMT

15. Ryan

Ryan Member

Some dense foamy thing. I had one in my Blues Jr., and I've got two more on my list for my 2x12 Avatar.

16. Boogs

Boogs Member

I have used them before and they work great.

That said, I like Weber speakers, and I can order any speaker from them with a larger (3") dustcap. Has a similar effect, but I like it just a touch more.

17. DC1

DC1 Member

I bought one for a 12 and one for a 15. Really disliked them. They seemed to setup a nasty standing wave between the blocker and the cone. I did not like the sound at all and when I took it out, I liked it much better.

I still have the 15" version. Sell it to you cheap.

DC

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I tried them and didn't like them. I think your better off finding speakers you really like then putting band aids on a less then perfect solution.

When I used them I didn't like how they made things sound...btw, I like most Weber products, just not the beam blocker.

19. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

I have them in my Vox AC30CC2 with Weber alnico blue dogs. Works very well.

They don't add anything, they don't take away anything. I'm not trying to fix my amp's sound with them (no need to), Beam Blockers make the tone usable in wider area. They spread the speaker's frequency response so it's even, where ever you stand in front of your amp.

20. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I concur.