Anyone Using A Barber Tone Pump Eq?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gitfiddler, Jan 2, 2008.

1. gitfiddler

gitfiddler Member

I have the Barber Tone Pump eq. I think that this is one overlooked pedal here at the Gear Page. I have tried so many pedals and the Barber Tone Pump is just stellar. Anyone else using this pedal? If you have not played one try one out!

2. jpagey

jpagey Member

Long time fan of the TP (my 2nd booteek pedal) and TP EQ. I probably have mentioned it here over 20 times.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

How does it sound compared to the BUEQ?

4. jpagey

jpagey Member

5. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Yep, yep & yep. ;)

My fave OD of all time (feel like I sing it's praises too much sometimes).

Best sounding & feeling OD that I've ever used. It's like a super hero on my board - nothing can kick it off, nothing is as well rounded, and nothing makes my guitar simply sound bigger and badder while leaving my tone intact quite the same way. :AOK

A very underrated pedal around these parts, indeed. :rolleyes:

6. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Tone Pump is a basically a versatile, open sounding, high-end, 2 channel tube screamer. Burn unit is it's own beast, less open, affects your tone more dramatically, and is more of a "distortion" pedal than an overdrive/boost.

That said, they are both phenomenal.

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

West of YOW by way of CT, NY, NJ, Chicago and IN
    Agreed with all of the above. It's my overdrive pedal....period. At this stage of my life (an old sometimes cranky curmudgeon) I can't be bothered with at lot of BS. To that end David Barber's pedals are my choice as you can see:

[​IMG]

8. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I personally don't think it sounds or feels like a Tube Screamer much, if at all. It is much more natural sounding, less gritty, the EQ has much more control, and the curve can be dialed to be a million times more transparent. The gain is much more "in" the sound than "on" the sound - if ya know what I mean. Even Dave has said it is a far cry from a Tube Screamer (I personally like TS's - this just isn't one).

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

9. modernp

modernp Member

Heads above any 808.

10. gitfiddler

gitfiddler Member

What Op amp chip does everyone have in their Tone Pump? I got mine on a trade but I dont think that it has the original Op amp in it.

11. hb_nz

hb_nz Member

Had mine for a few months now and it's definitely one of, if not the nicest OD I've ever tried. Between the trimpots, 2 channels and the push/pull of the red channel, there's plenty of tonal options - all the way from a beautiful clean boost to thick smooth drive. It can do the "boutique TS" thing if you tweak it that way, but I think it's real strength is the way it can respond like an extra couple of channels to your existing amp.

12. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

If I generally use my Barber DD for Boost and light OD is it worth selling it to go Tone Pump? It'd probably be more of the same, fattening, to smooth overdrive work.

13. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I had one and highly recommend it. I was trying to get another but the GAS got to Me on another OD pedal. I love the harmonics and the very amp-like nature it develops when the Pump knobs are set above 1:00. It could end Your search for a low to medium gainer.

14. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

No, totally different pedal. All of Dave's pedals have a very clean, defined Marshally thing happenin', but the Tone Pump & any of the Direct Drives are miles apart.

Although there is definitely overlapping territory, the Tone Pump is more classic rock, roots, blues, etc. It can get a lot of gain, but nothing like the Direct Drives which TOTALLY goes into all out Marshall metal sounds. Having both on the board would be enormously flexible, & sweet indeed.....

And I agree with the statement that the Tone Pump (I'll say all of Dave's dirt pedals) are more like extra channels of your amp than pedals.

:AOK

15. Jam119

Jam119 Member

I own a ton of the Barber Drives... out of all of them, I feel that the Tone Pump EQ is the most over looked... It's sounds like your amp cranked... Take a great guitar and Amp config and the TPEQ pumps the best qualities out to your desired amount of gain. I'm running an LTD SR mod Board for low gain into a tone pump EQ with 2 seperate drive levels into a Burn Unit EQ into a KLON for volume boost and whether I'm playing through my AC30 od super clean Cowtipper 30 - I get natural gain structure with the TPEQ... a very musical pedal indeed.

16. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Oh man! The TPEQ through a Cowtipper! I tried that a handful of times @ Ultra Sound Studios here in NYC. THE single best guitar sound I have ever gotten, no lie. Those two things go together like few things in life, haha (the TPEQ is like the Bruno's second channel). I remember the guys in my band saying "Marc, you look distracted", and I was secretly thinking to myself "*******, my guitar sounds good..........wish i could afford this amp".... :D

17. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I also got a used TPEQ and it has the JRC4558D in it.

The Tone Pump EQ has a great vintage vibe sound in it thru all the settings. But I have a hard time with opening up the back and setting the green trim pot (presence ?). I love it up with a Strat and of course I have too back it off with a Tele to get a useable tone. But with a Strat it's very nice! Maybe a chip swap would give me a happy medium. Besides I love the Silverkiss on the Tele, altough it's missing the vintage vibe a little.

18. jpagey

jpagey Member

Why not set the presence trimmer 1/2 way between the spots you like it for both guitars and adjust the top mounted tone control?

19. jb70

jb70 Member

i love my tpeq. i don't have mine on my main board but i do use it on my jazz gigs and on my soul/r&b gigs where i have to use a small setup. one of barber's finest pedals for sure!

20. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

From what I understand his FIRST pedal as well. That should say something; What he was wanting & hearing in his head for years....

Got overshadowed by the Direct Drive, Tone Press Compressor & Burn Unit later on...