Anyone using a Big Muff just for a solo boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tbone135, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I tried mine after an FDII yesterday and it sounded pretty good, but there were some issues with it. Even at a very low sustain setting, it was too bassy and really tended to feedback through my hollowbody. It sounded great while I was playing though it otherwise. Any ideas on how to fully utilize this pedal for solos, or am I chasing the wrong idea here? This is a Little Big Muff, by the way.

2. Rossl

Rossl Member

Only use mine for THICK distortion. Sounds like you need a Tube Screamer

3. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Oh yeah, here's the signal chain.

Guitar
    -SD pickup booster (only on with my tele)
    -535 wah
    -Tone Press
    -Boss CE-5
    -FDII
    -Little Big Muff-
    -EB volume pedal looped out to a TU-2
    -Boss PS-5
    -Boss DD-5
    -Rocktron Hush all to a DRRI.

4. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I am going for a thick full sustainy thing for solos and the second channel of my FDII just doesn't do that, neither will a TS9.

5. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I don't know if you're chasing the wrong idea, so much as chasing the idea with the wrong pedal.

I recently started doing this. I run my Skreddy Screw Driver at a nice crunchy gain level (gain at 12:00 or 2:00, depending on whether I'm using a strat or LP). Then, for a FAT lead tone, I step on my Skreddy Mayo (Sustain down around 8:00).

It sounded so good, I tried it with my other Big Muff pedals including the Little Big Muff. Unfortunately, they sounded kind of ugly with the bass and looseness of the LBM. The Mayo is just a tighter pedal, so it work better in this application. Another of my Muff-style pedals, Earthquaker Devices Hoof, also sounded really good, but it, too, is kind of tight, with excellent clarity---and also pretty low in gain for a muff.

So, it can be done, but the LBM you have is a bit to loose and sloppy and unwieldy to work. It's an awesome pedal, though!

BAN

6. IRG

IRG Member

I use a Keeley TS-9 into my Moho Russian Muff. Sounds great together. I think the TS-9 actually tightens up the Muff and adds more sparkle, and makes it seem less flabby. Another thing to do is roll off your guitars volume control a little bit, that can help too.

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

First try taking some green painter's masking tape and cover up the F holes. This will cut out most of the feedback. If you can get a pleasing sound, all you need to do is either make up better looking tape, buy pre-made F-hole plugs, or stiff rags in the f-holes. If the sound is still no good, I'd experiment more with a clean boost or even a Bad Monkey with the gain down low. Big Muffs have pretty much one tone that you can do minor tone tweaks.