Anyone using a Custom Tones Ethos Mini Amp with their unpowered Kemper?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by maydaynyc, Jul 3, 2019.

1. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

I just bought one to pair with my Ethos Overdrive and 1x12 cab for light travel gigs where I'm not in the PA, but I'm wondering about how it would work with the Kemper. I don't really have many direct profiles because I've only focused my Kemper on recording work and gigs where I'm direct into the PA and monitoring via an FRFR. But before I go down the rabbit hole of direct profiles that happen to match my cabinet, which is a custom built open back 1x12 with an Alessandro GA-SC64, I'm wondering if anyone has already blazed this path.

2. Peet

Peet Member

Unfortunately, I have no experience with this setup, but if you are searching for some Direct profiles, check the Rig Exchange in Rig Manager.

3. Ejay

Ejay Member

Idnk the speaker.
    You dont have to go for direct profiles that match your speaker.
    If the cab in the profile doesnt match...you simply replace the cab.

I audition my profiles on my cab, then check the direct signal, ussually I switch the cab to my “go to” one.

4. maydaynyc

Wait maybe I misunderstood. I thought that when you use an actual guitar cab not an FRFR speaker you need to remove the cabinet from the profile, i.e. only use direct profiles. Are you saying I can use normal profiles that include the cabinet with an actual guitar cab?

5. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

You can use it any way it sounds good.

6. Ejay

Ejay Member

You are right that you need to switch off the cabsim of the kpa.
    You can do that with all profiles.
    For studio profiles (profiles of amp, cab and mic method), kpa calculates what the cab is, so even on those you can remove the cab.
    Sounds pretty good, However, personally, i think direct profiles sound a tad better. Midrange seems a bit more open to my ears.

I played studio profiles through cabs a long time (yes, cabs off), but again , direct works a tad better.

7. maydaynyc

Thanks for confirming that! Started playing around with using my cab through the monitor out with the monitor cab off engaged on the output menu. Amazing both how different my usual profiles sound versus through FRFR and how some are great with cab and some suck. Lots of experimenting to do.

8. Ejay

Ejay Member

Try switching the cab to one of a profle you like if you have a profile that's Nice through cab..and not so much through frfr

9. maydaynyc

Its a good point, I've pretty much never messed with profiles once I have them. I use mostly Tone Junkies and some some M Britt with a smattering of others. But usually if i don't like them as is I move on. My experimenting is all around setting up effects. But now I'll try locking in a cab as you suggest and visit some of those meh profiles.