Anyone using a Dr Z Maz Jr amp with the Tone Stack Bypass Mod?

Bikedude

I've heard a few clips that Starrman did, and it sounds very nice. Check with him, i'm sure he'll give you some input.

tdawg

Silver Supporting Member
I got my old Maz recently upgraded with it. It is pretty cool sounding, a little more raw and gainy.. That being said there is a significant volume boost the way i have my head setup to play usually, so I haven't found a way to use the tone stack bypass during playing live. I'm sure there is a way to balance the settings, i really haven't spend enough time on it yet.

archtopjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
The clips on the Z site sound pretty balancad but I have had a few people tell me there is a significant volume boost. I'm about to order one and am trying to decide whether to get it or not.
What would you say?

blues junkie

Gold Supporting Member
When I ordered mine from Stu @ Fat sound I asked about TSB mod and using it as a "Channel switcher" type amp and he told me that it's not really set up for that application. It gets much louder in the TSB mode & you have to eq the amp differently when you engage the TSB. So I decided I did'nt want to deal with it and a pedal or two would work much better.

Fireball XL5

Gold Supporting Member
When I ordered mine from Stu @ Fat sound I asked about TSB mod and using it as a "Channel switcher" type amp and he told me that it's not really set up for that application. It gets much louder in the TSB mode & you have to eq the amp differently when you engage the TSB. So I decided I did'nt want to deal with it and a pedal or two would work much better.

I agree. Haven't played the mod on the Maz, but I'd much prefer the control afforded by pedals used in front of the amp as opposed to the on/off sledgehammer effect of a tone stack bypass mod, which I imagine could render many pedals unusable when engaged.

Dave_C

I agree. Haven't played the mod on the Maz, but I'd much prefer the control afforded by pedals used in front of the amp as opposed to the on/off sledgehammer effect of a tone stack bypass mod, which I imagine could render many pedals unusable when engaged.

I agree. The Maz is a great pedal platform and, IMO, the TSB (or PAB, as they call it on D-styles) totally defeats the whole purpose of this kind of amp. If you want a channel switcher with a truly useful TSB, buy a Dumble style! FWIW, I do own a Maz 18 Jr NR (w/o TSB) and three D-styles.

tdawg

Silver Supporting Member
I think it would be cool for studio use when your looking for a little more hair..or just tooling around in the house its fun too.

cacibi

I think it would be cool for studio use when your looking for a little more hair..or just tooling around in the house its fun too.

Agreed - even if not useable live, it would increase the versatility of the amp overall. You might only use it in the studio - but could still come in handy.

The "Bump" feature on my Lil' Elvis is not really useable as a boost live either, but it sure sounds great and I'm glad it's there. In fact - played a few songs at rehearsal last night where I just left it on - and it really filled in the midrange nicely.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Actually, I use it live, and it works REALLY nice. I had the doctor do his thing on mine about two months ago, and that amp never sounded so good.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member

Had it done on mine, and by using your guitars volume, it kills. The mod makes the amp sound so organic, it reminds of the the Carlton tone during his Steeley Dan years.

tdarian

Platinum Supporting Member
If you are ordering a new amp, having the Bypass Mod is worst case like having a 2nd amp inside the chassis. It has a much different character & "attitude" when you hit the bypass. For the minimal extra charge, I think it is worth it if you are ordering a new amp.

Having said that, I did not find myself using the amp much in bypass mode because the tones I was getting in standard mode were terrific. I did find trying to switch on the fly into bypass mode a bit tricky from the standpoint that both the gain and volume increase can be significant depending upon your volume/master levels.

Check out the MAZ18 section of the Z-Talk forum and look for posts from Doctorice in this topic. He has taken alot of time to figure out how to dial in the bypass for a switchable set-up.

There is no downside to having the mod.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom