Anyone using a marshall or mesa 20/20 power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrt, Mar 27, 2008.

1. mrt

mrt Member

Just wondering if anybody is using these power amps? and if they would be loud enough to play out with? I just picked up a JMP-1 and I want to build a small rack unit to take to small gigs. BUT most of the time I will only use 1 mono 4x12. Let me know Thanks :AOK

and are there any forums you know of dedicated for rack gear?

2. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

if you like el84 tone I hear they are great. You're probably going to end up with poweramp breakup with one of those units though. I dont know any rack gear forums myself.

3. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest Supporting Member

I use a Mesa 20/20 in one of my gig racks. It's plenty of power - more than enough to gig with. Put that, a tube preamp, power conditioner, and a BBE into a 4 space rack, and you've got a powerhouse, portable little rack setup that will kick some major butt. And the 20/20's power comes on very smoothly, unlike the taper on a lot of all-in-one tube heads. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear.

4. mrt

mrt Member

Cool, thanks guys.

Way back in the day I used a JMP-1 with a PV 60/60. Great smooth tones. Thats why I'm leaning towards the Mesa. The marshall power amps seemed to have this nasty mid range grit going on.(but that was the 3L34 power amp.

5. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

[​IMG]

Hey mrt,

I've been using the Mesa Boogie Dynawatt 20/20 stereo tube power amp for gigs for the last couple of years. It sounds really nice with my ADA Depot 3TM "Ultra" mod MP-1 preamp. I like the way the EL-84 power tubes to break up when I turn it past 2 o'clock, giving the sound some nice compression. 22 watts per side from a 2x12 stereo guitar cab gets loud, but not too loud.

Guitar George

6. mrt

mrt Member

Man.. nice rig:AOK

Where did you get that rack? its calling my name!

What type of music do you play with the ADA?

7. Keld

Keld Member

8. mrt

mrt Member

9. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey mrt,

I bought the Mesa Boogie 8 space shockmounted rack from a local seller for $150.00 :) and built the whole thing myself. Mesa Boogie sells them, but your best bet is to look around and see if you can find them used. I gig as a Top 40 guitarist in a couple of local cover bands and that ADA Depot 3TM mod MP-1 preamp has a great solid state clean channel (think Roland JC-120 combo), a very brown sounding clean tube channel (not much for clean tube tone, but has a nice low to medium gain tone), and the distorted tube channel has more gain than I'll ever use. The EQ is much tighter sounding as well and is much quieter sounding even with the gain up high. It's far better in sound than the Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis, Rocktron Pirahna or Marshall JMP-1 rackmounted preamps.

Guitar George

10. Sleepo

Sleepo Member

I used to have a JMP-1 and i used a Marshall 9005, old huge thing. Brilliant, and cheap. I bought it for £180, sold it for £220 a year later. I later found out the guy i sold it to then sold it on again, but for £75 on eBay!

You could get yourself a bargain and have a brilliant setup there.

11. skogm

skogm Member

I run a Mesa rec pre into a g-major and into a Mesa 20/20 (although not lately :mad:). The 20/20 is LOUD! Plenty of volume for a club or gigging. It's 20 watts per channel and I have a tough time using it at all at home - pretty much useless. The Mesa rec pre since it is mostly preamp distortion sounds pretty good at lower volumes but that 20/20 is finicky and seems go from no volume to BLAST in like 1mm of volume knob turning. It's a great power amp though but I have yet to be able to really listen to it cook. It is louder/pushes more air than my 30 watt Bad Cat Hot Cat by comparison.

12. mrt

mrt Member

Good info thanks guys.