Anyone Using a Suhr Modern for Jazz/Blues/Classic Rock/Funk?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tfunster, Mar 8, 2015.

1. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I've been playing "vintage" style guitars all my life, and I'm thinking of trying something new, sleek and modern for my current gig. My band currently plays soul, funk, blues, classic rock; basically no metal/shred stuff.

I really like the idea of the Suhr Modern. Stainless steel frets, slightly thin and fast neck, 2 point trem and locking tuners. For those of you who have a Suhr Modern and don't really do metal, how would you rate the guitar as a general "cover band" guitar?

I've been doing a bunch of reading and have watched the Youtube videos. Just wanted to check in and see if I can get some first hand reviews of the guitar from players who play non-metal/shred music.

2. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

I'm sure it'll do just fine covering those grounds. My only concern would be the 24 frets moving the neck pickup out of its sweet spot, but that's just me. That being said, I own now 3 Suhr Classic S guitars with different pickup configurations and teems and I've used them to cover all the styles you're mentioning with no issues.

3. Minte

Minte *except for a few minor scratches* Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Modern Pro. It gets a lot of different tones with the switch set up and it's a great playing guitar. It should work very well for everything you play.

4. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

I had a set neck modern for 2 years (alder body, maple cap, rosewood fb) and used it for blues, country, jam band stuff. It was a great guitar. Ultimately, the neck just didn't suit me so I sold it. It got very stratty, the SSV/SSH+ pickups sounded great natural and split, and the trem was amazing. It can work for any style imho.

Exceptional - they're just so versatile and everything they do, they do well.

5. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies so far everyone

Would you mind telling me what kinds of necks you prefer, and why the Modern didn't suit you? One thing I'm afraid of is that the neck is a bit too small for my tastes.

6. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

I have lots of guitars (mostly vintage style - LP, tele, Gretsches, SG ....) but if I needed to pick one that could do everything it's my Suhr modern HSH. Positions 2, 3, and 4 are great for clean/stratty tones, and 1 and 5 can cover for les paul tones (my modern is mahogany, which doesn't hurt). It's also great for modern hard rock and metal tones of course. Incredibly versatile guitar, not to mention very ergonomic and comfortable/easy to play.

7. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

Moderns are very versatile guitars. In a HH version, you get 2 single coil-type sounds, and 3 humbucker-flavoured :D ones. In a HSH version, you can have it arranged a-las GG signature guitar, were 3 out of 5 pickup positions are single coil combinations. And John's pickups, to my humble undereducated ears, sound very rootsy, so to speak, so coming from Fender territory, you most probably will feel very comfortable. They're bright, clear and articulate, without being harsh or thin.

Here's a couple of quick clips I made:

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/lowyaw-1/suhr-pro-series-m5-mesa-boogie[/SOUNDCLOUD]

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/lowyaw-1/suhr-pro-series-m5-guitar-line[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Mine has the "[SIZE=-1]Modern Elliptical GG .800 - .850 w/ 10" - 14" Radius", 1.65 wide at the nut neck, [/SIZE]but honestly, I prefer necks that are a little flatter - like 16" all along - and a little wider. But it's a nice neck.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  8. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

I ordered 1.650" nut width - I had played several other Suhrs with this, and my friend has a modern with that and it seemed fine. I've just been playing 1.687 (11/16") on so many other guitars for so long my fingers felt cramped. I tried for two years to "get used to it" but it never felt like home to me. I should have ordered the wider nut width. The neck was otherwise very comfortable.

The 16" radius and jumbo frets weren't ideal for my playing, either, but those were more easily fixable. Live and learn. When I specc'd it, I got some stuff right and other stuff not. If I were to get another I'd get a wider nut, medium SS frets, and 12" or 10"-14" compound radius.

The 0.820-0.870 modern eliptical shape is fantastic, though. Not too thin, but definitely not chunky. To me it was very comfortable. If you like thicker necks, though, you might want a Standard instead of a Modern as there are more neck option.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  9. Metlupass2

Metlupass2 Supporting Member

You could use it for anything. Just be sure to select whichever pickups suit you best. The switching on the HH is nice and my favorite. The split humbucker is awesome on my Moderns.

10. ieso

ieso Member

+1

Very versatile guitar.

If I had to limit myself to just one guitar it would be my Suhr