1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone using a Toneport??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Sid, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Sid

Sid Member

If so...how is it??

does it add a lot of compression??

does it make stuff very digital??:jo

2. Grap

Grap Member

I've used a Toneport UX-1 for recording so far only as a microphone pre-amp emulator. I ran my effects rig into my Tech21 Trademark 10 set as a clean Fender amp and ran its line-out into the UX-1's mic socket. I used one of the Gearbox presets that was intended for acoustic guitar, switched off compression and tweaked the EQ until what I heard in my headphones was pretty much what I heard in the room. I ran the Gearbox outs to Reaper 0.999 via the ASIO driver interface. It worked out quite well.

3. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

4. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

My take on those things are that there cool, but it will never sound as good as a real tube amp. I know because I screwed around with Line 6 stuff recording wise when I first started. The good thing is, most people won't be able to tell the difference. In the last month or 2, I have been doing all my guitar stuff on real amps, and it just sounds soooooooo much better. It might take more work to get a good sound, but in the end it pays off.

5. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

The cool thing about the Toneport (I have a UX1), is that it has all the "Guitar Port" simplicity to start with. Plug your guitar in and tweak amp miodels and effects all you want - but essentially, get stuff recorded quickly.

But since it has an XLR input, you can mic your real tube amp and record its sweet tone. Kind of the best of both worlds - not the best tube amp nor the best mic pramp, but darn good enough for my needs.

6. Sid

Sid Member

i have begun to utterly despise modelling amps....i have effects and a very nice amp.....i guess the best way is to get a mic and mic it goin through the mic preamp of the toneport....how much clarity is lost?? and how much compression does it add??

7. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

That's what the clip above is - a real plexi mic'ed through the toneport mic preamp. They sound as good or better than anything else in the price range that I've heard.

8. Sid

Sid Member

that sounds quite awesome:drool

9. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Thanks for posting this topic.

I had the same questions about the toneport for awhile now.

I am going to pull the trigger on a toneposr UX1 for recording.

L6, despite having a few products that make your guitar sound like ass, does make great gear recording on the cheap.

Thanks everyone!

10. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

Yep, the brilliant thing about the TonePort is it's a high-quality/low-latency audio interface that just so happens to have modeling capabilities. I use the modeling for getting down quick ideas, then go back and re-record with my amps for the final product.