Anyone using a Wilkinson trem? Like or dislike?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TwoGeez, May 12, 2006.

1. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Anyone using a Wilkinson trem? Like or dislike? How does it compare to a standard Strat trem (tone)? Stay in tune well?

2. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

If you are refering to the new Wilkinson vintage.
    YES! I love it!
    The pitch return is great too!

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

3. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

The Wilkinson on my Godin LGXT sounds great and is extremely stable.

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I've got a Wilkinson on my Strat. I like it, it works great. It's the one that is supposed drop in on an AM standard strat, I had to drill holes in my strat since it had the six screw bridge.

[​IMG]

5. avalonpb

avalonpb Member

I've got a Wilkinson Convertible brige on an old Godin ST and it is the best vintage-style trem I've ever used. Wilkinson stopped making it in the 90's due a lawsuit from Gibsonover the design.

NICE units if you can find one. They are hard-tail when the bar is not in use and automatically convert to a standard trem when the bar is rotated up for use.

6. HHB

HHB Member

I've got the vintage trem on my partocaster and the one w/ the modern looking saddles on my Hamer Mirage II, I love Wilkie trems!

7. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

I've had guitars with the convertible, VS100, VSV and now a Grosh BTC with the new Wilkinson Vintage. For floating action it's hard to beat the VS100/Convertible bridges. The VSV is a cool bridge with a vintage vibe but it doesn't sound vintage at all - much brighter.

My Grosh was fitted with a Gotoh 1088/Callaham block when I decided I would give the new vintage Wilky a go - mainly because it has a push in arm. I had to special order it from Allparts because I wanted the 2 post version and not the 6 screw type. Took about 1 1/2 months to get to me which isn't bad. An interesting fact is that these new Wilky's are made by Gotoh as well. The steel block that comes with it is painted black and is slighty lighter than the Callaham (even though they claim it's made to vintage specs). I mounted the trem in the studs that were already mounted in the guitar that came with the Gotoh 1088 and although it fit there is a slight amount of play between the pivot screws and the studs. There was no play at all with the 1088 pivot screws - rock solid. Considering the price - it's a nice trem but there's a world of difference in quality between it and the Callaham/D'Pergo vintage units - no comparison. My Grosh sounded better with the 1088 than with the Wilky but I kept it on there for a while because of the convenience of having a push in arm.

The trem action is pretty smooth but the pivot system isn't up to par - the screws and knife edges need work. I eventually swapped it for a D'Pergo vintage unit and there's a night & day difference in tone. I opted for D'Pergo because he makes them with push in arms as an option and also makes them in 2 1/8" (which Callaham doesn't). D'Pergo also offers titanium as an option for the saddles/block as well as brass or steel for the top plate. He has everything made in his own machine shop (like Callaham) even the titanium stuff - no KTS parts like D'Temple. The top plate isn't bent as on other vintage trems - it's milled as one solid piece! D'Pergo is definitely the Ferrari of vintage trems - everything absolutely top notch. MY quest for vintage trems has ended :)

8. samtheman

samtheman Member

I have VSV in my Tyler, it rocks.

/sam

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

I've got a VS100 on my Yamaha Pacifica. I really hate the 6-screw strat trems, I always screw them down..the arm on those I find annoying and the action isn't very smooth IMO. Not so with the VS100..very smooth action, stays in tune nicely when combined with a Graphtech nut and locking tuners and the arm is just the reight height. What I like is that it's very easy to adjust compared to something like a Floyd Rose.

As far as 2-point floating trems go, I like the Wilkinson a lot, though I feel that the Schaller LP trem is even better.

10. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Cool, this is actually the exact same setup I'm going for, with Sperzels. I debated endlessly over whether or not to just get a Floyd, I really want something that can take some abuse and stay in tune. I figured this was the next best thing to a Floyd but without the brite top end. Do you like the overall tone of the bridge?

11. LaXu

LaXu Member

I've actually got Sperzels in my guitar too. If you're putting together a guitar from parts of have a choice in tuners, don't get Sperzels. They work fine as far as keeping the guitar in tune, but they don't have a very smooth action due to lower gear ratios (12:1 as opposed to 16:1 or 18:1 in other locking tuners) and the thumbscrews in the back are not very comfortable.

Can't really judge the tone versus other trems because the VS100 is the only trem that has been on the guitar. The guitar is a strat type Yamaha Pacifica 812WX, alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, H/S/S Seymour Duncan pickups. Compared to my ash body, maple neck/fretboard strat it's definitely darker sounding and quite midrangy, but I suppose that's propably due to the alder body.

[​IMG]

12. matte

matte Senior Member

Better? In what specific respects?

13. LaXu

LaXu Member

It seemed somehow more solid and didn't seem to care much about bending etc. I've only tried it on the Finnish made Flaxwood guitars but on those it was very nice.