Anyone using an Empress compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Madison, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Just got one today and am really impressed! I've used the Diamond for a long time and decided it was time to explore a bit, just to see what is out there. The Empress is killer...fine tune both the attack and release, 3 compression ratios to choose from which is nice if going from single coil to humbucker, a blend control like the Tone Press, and input & output control which lets you further dial in exactly what you want. There is abundant squish on tap if needed, something I've kind of missed from time to time on the Diamond. On top of all that it just plain sounds great. So far I've only tried it with the Ecstasy and it clearly works very well with this particular OD.

The only negative I can find is you need to memorize what the knobs do because in moderate light you'll never be able to read the small print. Maybe Empress will pick up on that and make adjustments, as I've read others complain about this too.

2. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

I've had my Empress comp for several months now, and am still loving it more than I ever thought I could love a comp. It really is variable and intuitive. Never before have I been able to imagine the style of compression I desire, and dial it in with such ease.

In the past I found myself hitting my compressors only every once in a while, but with the Empress, I use it far more often.

They really nailed it on this one!

3. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Madison, i love mine too. Your right about the memorization. They might want add a preset bank! Wouldnt that be kick arse?!

4. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

Best compressor I've ever used, hands down. Does anyone use the sidechain? I'm still unclear as to what it does...

5. mc2

mc2 Member

So far, I have a Diamond that I like, but i totally like the control of teh Empress. Even their boost/eq is impressive. They seem to be on to some great designs, perhaps a little user refinement would help across the board.

6. frontingbravery

frontingbravery Member

It's the best in a stomp and has no one in the same ring with it, hands down. It can only be compared to rack units IMHO.

7. Madison

After spending another hour last night I'm now wondering how I ever got along with 2 and 3 knob compressors. I tend to use fairly heavy compression, and of course there are positives and negatives with this type of setting. Having deeper access to what makes a compressor work, like as a studio grade unit offers, makes it that much more rewarding once you're done dialing it in. Everyone seems to like something slightly different out of a compressor.

A big :aok on the Empress, best $249 I've spent in years.

8. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

I like simpler on my board for compression. The Diamond has been doing it for me for a long time now. In a live setting, very few will take notice to the slight sonic changes in compression on your board.

In a studio, it's a different ballgame - but you have a whole lot more available in the studio as well. I just can't see justifying the $100 jump to sell my Diamond and buy the Empress at this point. That being said, I've heard nothing but awesome things about the Empress comp. I don't think Empress knows how to release a sub-par product...

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Does the empress get that sheen that the Diamond has? The Diamond to me just adds something cool to the tone that I like, do you notice that with the empress?

BTW I have a diamond Bass comp (which I sometimes use for guitar), but mostly use for bass and a Barber Tone Press.

10. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

I recently got one as well and really like it, definitely the best stomp compressor I've tried yet - it even beats some rack units I've tried. It's the first Empress product I've tried but so far I've pretty impressed.

11. Madison

Oh yes, it certainly does. I'm very picky about compressors, and have owned the Carl Martin, Keeley, a modded Boss, Barber TP, Diamond, and others. I recently bought (and still have) a MP Forest Green. To the point above, I agree someone listening won't pick up on whether I'm using a Boss or Empress, but I can sure tell the difference...and a finely dialed in compressor makes me play better.

I have about 8 years just between the 2 knob Keeley and Diamond. I'm not big on knobs on pedals OR amps...simplicity is always a priority. But trying to get a compressor exactly the way I want it just requires more control, it would seem. Doesn't take long, for example...turn attack all the way off, play guitar, turn attack all the way clock-wise, play guitar...repeat with all knobs. Within a few minutes you begin to hone in on what sounds, feels, and responds to how you personally need it to be.

With the blend knob all the way clock-wise, you can dial in the 'Nashville' sound, but then go back to the other controls and fix areas that might be too affected. With my DGT you can flip the ratio over to 4:1, with my tele I might flip over to 10:1 and leave all the other knobs as they are. Running the input knob strong brings on huge sustain, and you can control the overall volume with the output knob. Just a sampling, but lots of things to like about this pedal.