Anyone Using an Ethos Clean into a PA?

Shark Puncher

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience (or links to soundclips) running an Ethos Clean direct into a PA with the Speaker Sim. I'm currently saving up to get a nicer tube amp, but was wondering if this might be an avenue worth exploring, considering the relatively low cost. I'm specifically considering the Ethos Clean II.

VTReconcileD

Silver Supporting Member
Yup...that's typically what I play through at church. I don't have any sound clips, but I can tell you I've fooled just about every guitarist in the congregation into thinking I'm using a tube amp. You really can't go wrong with the Ethos. Even if you eventually play through an amp, the Ethos still sounds incredible as a preamp or OD pedal. I play it straight, through tube amps (egnator, orange), solid state (jazz chorus), etc. You can seriously use it anywhere. Highly recommended.

Matt L

I'm going through the exact same thing right now. Been using a Tech 21 RK5 direct to PA for the past year. It's pretty good, but I'm doing a fancy new pedalboard and am thinking either Ethos Clean II or go back to tube amp. I've already upgraded the delay and overdrive sections, so the RK5 can be relegated to back-up/crappy floor-level-danger-of-spilt-beer-drunk-chick-falling-on-them-club duties.

danel59

Definitely recommend Clean II (I got the Clean-Fusion II) for going direct to PA. I also own the original Ethos Overdrive that I have used extensively direct and loved it(with delay and reverb to taste added post speaker sim) I have to say that the new Clean-Fusion II is a step up from the original Ethos especially in the clean setting. Highly recommended for going direct. Don't miss using an amp at all. I have a bad back from birth and leg problems and consider the Ethos's a godsend. I also own a Kemper and still love what the Ethos can do.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
I've done entire gigs with the Ethos Clean direct to the board, and use it for practice all of the time. Excellent tool, and I agree, the Clean is a step up from the original Ethos.

Nota

I use the regular Ethos Amp for gigs. Works great. Have also gigged the regular one into PAs, works great.

blowery

I"m using an Ethos ODS straight to PA. Works great. I also use it in the FX return of one amp, and the front end of another in my stereo setup.

I have the Ethos as the "front end" of my setup, then all delay/reverb after, then into a DI box.

I'll submit a little clip but it's not very exciting after Pete posts :cool: but it will give you a different idea of tones. His playing and tones are fantastic, mine not so much :D

this is Ethos clean and OD channels, some delay and reverb direct into garageband.

bluesy sound

Here's the Ethos direct, with Strymon DIG, Brig, Flint in stereo

shawnerie

Mm @danel59 and @62Tele - why do you all say that the Ethos clean 2 (or clean fusion 2) is a step up from the original Ethos overdrive? Is it the speaker emulation or something else? thanks.

Nota

Mm @danel59 and @62Tele - why do you all say that the Ethos clean 2 (or clean fusion 2) is a step up from the original Ethos overdrive? Is it the speaker emulation or something else? thanks.

Wondering this too, as my original, the OD + Amp version, still sounds excellent :) I know there have been tweaks and more options added, so this is probably deemed "better", but I haven't decided to upgrade or not when the new OD version comes out. I'm sorta fine with it now.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member

Maybe it's the speaker sim, but I just like the Clean and Clean II better. Running the Clean II at 18V takes it up another notch for me - that being said, I didn't find it a night and day thing when I had the Clean and Clean II side by side, just an incremental improvement. As I said before though, it's been a few years since I had the original Ethos, so all from memory really.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Just did a demo of the Clean II... this thing would be great into a PA with a few choice pedals for compression, drive etc!

Great demo Pete, thanks. You really hit on the utility of the pedal, which really deserves attention. For me, it's a no-brainer having one on a gig board - has saved my ass a couple of times already.

@blowery - you're too self deprecating, I think your clips sound great.

Luckbad

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe it's the speaker sim, but I just like the Clean and Clean II better. Running the Clean II at 18V takes it up another notch for me - that being said, I didn't find it a night and day thing when I had the Clean and Clean II side by side, just an incremental improvement. As I said before though, it's been a few years since I had the original Ethos, so all from memory really.

What 18V adapter do you use? I have an Ethos Clean-Fusion II w/ HRM on the way in a couple of weeks (I might ping him again to see if I can add an effects loop too). Excited to hear it next to my Ethos Overdrive and want to grab an 18V adapter that works well with it. Thanks!

slowth

Would something like the bluguitar blubox make the ethos ll even better Direct, since it's IR based?

But that would mean the cab Sim out of the ethos ll won't be utilised.

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
What 18V adapter do you use? I have an Ethos Clean-Fusion II w/ HRM on the way in a couple of weeks (I might ping him again to see if I can add an effects loop too). Excited to hear it next to my Ethos Overdrive and want to grab an 18V adapter that works well with it. Thanks!

I run it off of a PP2+ with a doubler cable. Also works great with the 18V output on a Cioks DC5.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom