Anyone using an EV SRO/12? and if so in what type cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mike9, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I know the EVM 12L's are spec'd for a Theile type of cab, but I can't find any information on the type of cab spec'd for the SRO. Open back, detuned, Theile type . . . the list is long. I'd be building this for an amp based on the #40 Dumble.

I can't believe this thing - has a 3 lb. Alnico magnet on it !!!!! :eek: :banana

2. Tomo

Tomo Member

I have a pair... very heavy!

Tomo

3. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Hi Mike9,
    Let me hijack your thread a bit.Just to clarify, do they work well with open backs too? I have an old Mesa thiele with an EV and I've been thinking of putting that into an open (or semi-open) cab. Anyone has any experience with this?

4. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

EVM's although spec'd for thiele are and have been used in countless cabinets that are open backed in applications for PA and guitars -- in fact MB has a small 1 x 12 cab they have been loading these in since nearly the beginning -- I have used both MB cabs for over 20 years and like the open back just fine.

I have read on TGP that the Hermida ported cabs are particularly well suited to the EVM, if you want the best of both worlds.

No info on the SRO though:)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have two SRO's in a 4x12 with two V30s and they improved the tone dramatically. No harshness, solid bottom end and low mids. Detailed high end.

They significantly cleaned up the midrange on my Rivera KHR 100 that tended to sound somewhat choked at lower master volume levels through the V30s alone.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  6. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

3Lbs,?!?! The frame weighs more than that.

7. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

yeah my SROs weigh in around 20lbs each..so the magnet is more like 15-16 lbs.

anyway, I have 2 in a Bogner 4x12 paired with 2 EVM12Ls. It's a beast to move, but unbelievably awesome to play through at a nice loud volume. I don't really like V30s, but I originally paired the 2 SROs with 2 V30s and that was pretty nice too.

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

To clarify - the Magnet weighs 3lbs, the Magnet Structure weighs 16 lbs for a total of 19 lbs.

I'm going to put it in an open back cab for now and see how it sounds. Someone out there has to know about these things - that information is no longer on the EV website.

9. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I have an alnico 'coffee can' EV SRO. I have used it in a blackface Princeton Reverb (with an alternate baffle) - and it sounds great.

10. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Wow - I just installed this into an oversized 1x12 with a partially open back - Man does this sound nice!!! Very clear, smooth and articulate - this is gonna make me clean up my playing - :jo :dude

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

The SRO is an Alnico speaker, right? How does it compare to an EVM12L?

12. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Don't know - I have an EVM12L, but I haven't built the Thiele cab for it yet. I'll LYK when I get 'er done.

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

The "coffee can" SRO is alnico.

The "normal" looking one is ceramic and looks similar to the EWVM 12L Pro Line. It sounds similar to the EVM but has a smoother top end and is slightly more musical/slightly less analytical.

14. thegame

thegame Member

Compare your SROs with the 12Ls please.

15. Franktone

Franktone Member

I remember guitarists putting 2x12 SRO's into Fender silver faced Twins, and the word was that the sound was best out of all possiblities.

16. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

In the summer of '70, bought a '68 Fender Twin, with SRO's in it, was a trade-in from a pedal steel player, who got tired of lugging massive weight around. Great cleans, but without MV, could not get any crunch at anything less than earth/ear shattering volume.Like a fool, I sold it, my loss, wish I still had it.

17. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I also use a 15" EV SRO coffee can speaker in a 1x15 ported cab. It sounds really good when I use it as an extension speaker with my blackface Princeton Reverb.

18. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I used to use a 4x12 with SRO's in it. It weighed more than my car.

I still have the speakers. One is in a LopoLine large 1x12 closed back and two are in use in a 2x12 Fender bandmaster cab. One needs a recone.

Great speakers, I'm glad I kept them and just ditched the 4x12 cab empty.

Scott

19. chaz

chaz Member

I've had the coffee can alnico SRO and currently have a early 12L and have used both in an open backed Deluxe combo. The 12L is a little louder and the SRO compresses easier, otherwise they sound very similar. The SRO can easily handle a 50 watt amp, while the 12L can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it! Both have a curvalinear cone so are designed not to distort or color your tone. They sound glorious, but if you want dirt you won't get it from the speaker. I can get stunningly good cleans, and they'll handle any pedal no problem.
    I use one because I like the tone and it's plenty loud. Loud enough if I boost the signal I can keep up with much bigger amps.
    Their only drawback for me is the weight. My Deluxe now feels about like a Super when I pick it up! Couldn't even imagine trying to lug around a 2x12 amp with these.

20. Peppy

Peppy Member

Exactly what I did in 1972. I don't remember the sound being the "best out of all possibilities" but I remember it being one hell of a heavy amp...especially as skinny and weak as I was at the time. In fact it'd still be heavy.