• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone Using An Isolation Cab?

Torren61

After going through various attenuators and even using a Power Station, I'm thinking about buying a Rivera Silent Sister.

But, at a price of around $1100, I'd like some feedback from anyone who has used it already.

It looks intriguing with XLR outputs. I can get an unloaded cab for around $1000 and load it with an Alnico Cream and it'll cover any amp I own now or expect to own in the future.

So, have any of you used an isolation can and specifically, a Rivera Silent Sister?

mjtripper

Silver Supporting Member
I love mine, loaded with an ev12l , beyer m88, and a tul g12. I have it down in the basement and after the kids have gone to bed I just use my interface and headphones for quiet practice. It's one of the best purchases I've made.

Torren61

I'm buying a Silent Sister and an Alnico Cream. I expect it to lower the volume of a cranked 50 watt in my "studio" to a level that my neighbors, on either side of my house, cannot hear at night.

I expect the XLR outs to capture the pure sound of the speaker without room noise.

We'll see... :)

I would agree with the consensus here. I have never used one physically but have heard tracks done with one. It sounds pretty good.

The Randall ISO cabinet sounds pretty boxy by comparison.

anuj

Gold Supporting Member
I built one, and it sounds great. Then I modified it cause I needed it to be shallower. Still sounds great. :)

Original build:

The mods involved lopping off about 4" from one of the sides, removing the front panel w/ the speaker mount from the 1x12 cab, adding shelf supports and horizontal planks to it so the speaker could stand in the downsized cab by itself. Everything else remained the same. I'll take photos the next time I need to adjust the mic in there.

My cost was ~$90, but that's mainly because I had leftover foam from an old mattress topper and a batch of auralex I got on craigslist for cheap.

clcwarlock

I built an ISO box for my studio. I bought a sheet of 3/4 MDF and had Lowe's cut it 34in-Length x 29inch-Width x 30in Height. I then bought Owens Corning 703 Rigid Fiberglass Board - 2 inch thick and burlap fabric to put over the OC 703(use 3M 77 Spray Adhesive to put burlap to OC 703) and line the whole inside of the MDF box with the sections. I now have a 2x12 cab in the ISO box with 2 microphones. I put quick connect XLR jacks and 1/4 jacks on the outside of it. I followed mostly this link http://www.amptone.com/diyisobox.htm when I built mine. However, I used drywall screws to put the MDF pieces together instead of L brackets and I have an auralex gramma that the 2x12 cab sits on in the box. I recorded my whole album with it in my signature below with it. I used a Carvin Steve Vai Legacy 3 amp and a PRS Custom 24. I can record at 3am if I want with this box.

anuj

Gold Supporting Member
I find that not having a speaker mounting panel that separates the air in front and behind the speaker helps - having air be able to freely move in front and back really seems to help with recordings sounding open versus compressed/boxy.

That said, as with any close-miking, EQ and placement goes a long way. You're not gonna get room sounds in an iso box. :)

I find that not having a speaker mounting panel that separates the air in front and behind the speaker helps - having air be able to freely move in front and back really seems to help with recordings sounding open versus compressed/boxy.

That said, as with any close-miking, EQ and placement goes a long way. You're not gonna get room sounds in an iso box. :)
This. The ability for air to move in, around and / or out of the box helps it from sounding too boxy, or should I say, I assume that is why the Silent Sister sounds good to me and the Randall doesn't.

Last edited:

Use a DI box like a Suhr Reactive Load and use IRs (basically cabinet simulation). It's cheaper, sounds better, it's what pros are doing now. ISO cabs are going to be a dying oddity.

"Son, this amplifier doesn't need tubes. It's called solid state. It's the future of the music industry. In five years, no one is going to be using tubes. They're a dying oddity."
Ultimately it's up to you man. If you want to get into the new technologies and such IRs aren't a bad way to go. I may get there someday myself. For now, I'm really happy with the iso-cab. Heck, 3-4 years ago this is what Pete Thorn was using [now an impulse user]. For me, right now, there is something to be said about the simplicity of rocking 120db in a box.

Even if you are an oddity:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom