Anyone using an Mbox with new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Grant Ferstat, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'm contemplating getting one of the new MacBook Pros from the Apple folk now that Digi have released a supporting software version for the dual-core macs.

Is anyone here using this set-up?

I was also wondering if you really do need to record to an external firewire drive or can you get away with recording to the internal drive (I intend to spec a 7200rpm internal drive).

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I've used it with absolutely no problems. If you have a 7200rpm internal drive you'll be totally fine...mine's 5400 and I've done full band sessions.

3. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

how many tracks playing back on a 5400 drive?

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Digi flat out says that it doesn't support recording onto the system drive. An external drive is a must IMHO.

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hi Matt,

Yeah I'm aware of that. I also know people who've done it for years on PC based laptops especially with faster drives and processors and mucho RAM.

The only situation where I'd be doing so is when I'm trying to be really portable and recording minimal tracks so I guess I was wondering if I could get away with it for travelling demos. At home it'd be an external firewire drive for sure.

6. elambo

elambo Member

I'd recommend an external drive also, but it's certainly not mandatory. The internal drive is capable of handling audio. Digi likes to keep a minimum system efficiency, which using the internal drive prevents, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't work - just not ideal.

7. Grant Ferstat

Maybe I just should be done with it and take one with me anyway...I guess they're not that heavy.

Cheers.

8. onemind

onemind Member

I wonder what the largest 'flash' based drive is, I know they're growing, that would be fast, and lightweight. I'm picking up a MacBook (black :) )for my son this week.

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I have been doing it also, and just now got around to ordering a Glyph, but I haven't been doing full sessions like some of these folks. I just tinker around a little in Reason, BFD, and a few basic guitar tracks. I have a aluminum G4 1.67 running Tiger. I occasionally get errors. I need to uograde my ram tho. I'm still at 512mb, the original setup. I can go up to 2gig. Damn ram is so expensive!
    :BITCH

10. Mondoslug

It's just pretty much an audio rule in general. Keep the audio files on a separate drive from the OS. It'll work all on one but you push your luck to a point...for sure.

11. Grant Ferstat

They are very good recordings on your site btw...

12. Mondoslug

Hey Realfi...thanks! Appreciate it.
    I've been spying the MacBook Pro also, look forward to hearing how your Digi/MacBook experiences turn out. Will you be using the Mac OS or the XP side of BootCamp?

13. Grant Ferstat

I was intending to use the Mac OS despite the fact that I come from a Windows background.

Part of my reason for going for a MacBook Pro is to learn the Mac OS as most pro studios around here seem to be Mac.

14. Grant Ferstat

UPDATE:-

Ordered MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.0 Ghz
    7200 rpm 100gig drive
    2 gig of RAM
    fast external drive.

As someone who's never been a Mac user you can all expect to hear some cries for help!

15. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Using a 17 inch macbook pro with an m-box and a 002 console with a lacie 300g firewire 800 drive.

Digidesign only just released the intel software so you will have to down load it from their site. I also had to download fixes to make my DV toolbox 2 work.

The only downside is that my waves collection and alot of my other plug ins wont work as they havent written the intel software yet.

16. ronin32

ronin32 Member

Wont it run in that Rosetta emulator the Macs are coming with?

17. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

I,ve tried the Rosetta emulator but it doest work with the plug ins as I think it is only for host software applications.

18. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

the kids at the Apple store told me today anything that works in OS X on a G5 Mac will work in OS X on an Intel Mac. what's going on here? :confused:

19. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

I think the difference with plugs is that they are not a separate software application running on OSX they are running within the host application.