Anyone using an X2 wireless system outside the USA?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rockindillo, Jun 23, 2008.

1. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

I've been fascinated by the rave reviews the X2 digital wireless system has got here and elsewhere - so much so at one point, I even e-mailed the makers to see if they were legal over here in the UK, or if there were any plans for an export model.

(The answer, sadly, to both was no. Apparently the frequency it works on is allocated to cell phones in the UK.)

However some friends of mine are touring, backing a US singer and guitarist here at the moment and he was using... yes, an X2. More to the point, he didn't seem to have any apparent trouble at all - no interference, signal loss,or calls from mobiles and no visits from the radio licensing folks, either.

It's got me jonesing for and X2 all over again - and wondering if I might just get away with it...

Anyone else tried one over here?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. never-enough

never-enough Member

i live in the us but i have toured thru the uk (50-odd shows last year) and japan with an X2 on my board without any problems. my bass player uses one as well.
    hope this helps.

3. drod2045

drod2045 Member

what band are you in never enough? thats amazing!

4. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I have thought the same thing. I didn't go there, because here in New Zealand, there are hefty fines for using radio waves in a certain bandwidth.
    It's probably the same in the UK . . .

5. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

Could be, but I've not heard of anyone getting caught and fined for it here... I was more concerned, to be honest about breakthrough from cell phones or other signals in the same bit of the spectrum...

6. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

yeah they all say the same, mostly i find its is because they try and protect the distributor.... Here in Australia, they say same thing nah you cant use an imported one because of frequency, but then the aussie distributor is selling the exact same product same freq with an insane mark up despite the fact that the dollar is almost the same as the US dollar... and for the most part the service and warranty service they supposedly provide i could nearly buy a second unit for the same money and just replace the broken one....the last time i had trouble with a line 6 product i was able to send it to the USA and have it repaired and sent back quicker than the australian repairers said the time it would take just for them to even look at it...