• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone using AxeFX in bar gigs?

cathodebias

I play some small gigs in small bars, pubs, lounges etc, and have always used small-medium tube amps, mostly a 5E3, a (heavily modded by me) Blues Jr, or if the room is bigger, a tweed bandmaster clone (Clark Tyger). These are plenty loud enough, and we never mic an amp in these small gigs. I drag along a Fender Reverb unit (65), strobostomp tuner, and a DIY trem pedal.

I recently bought myself a new Axe-FX II XL+, and I've been working with it and figuring it out at home. I've got some nice blues presets dialed in, and am using a small 6-button MIDI pedal with display (MC6) that I can do everything with, including use the AFX tuner. The AFX output goes to a small powered monitor (EV ZLX-12P, 34 lbs). Sounds damn good, and is plenty loud.

I'm thinking this would be a cool setup to use in the small gigs. Am I nuts? Anyone else using a modeler at small gigs?

It will give me a wide range of tones to suit the tunes, with all effects ( trem, reverb, drive, eq, and maybe a rotary) and several amp flavor in one (phantom powered) small pedal. It would def save wear and tear on my vintage amps, and I don't think tone would suffer, no. Maybe my image, lol!

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
It is a great setup and will work great! You aren’t nuts. The convenience of having all you need to go FOH and if you have a monitor that works for you is fantastic. I ran my Helix a few times and it worked nicely for FOH. I am just one of those that prefers the amp so I bring my BE-50 and now will use an UA Ox with it and a small Suhr 1x12 cab for a small gig and my BE-212 for a larger one. It’s just the way I like to do things.

cathodebias

I know, right? I've always been known for having good tone and always bringing cool old tube amps. Hell, I even work on a lot of player's amps.

I'm not talking about using it at a traditional blues club gig like Blind Willies or Northside tavern. Not until it's proven to deliver the goods (tone). Maybe a very moderate volume situation like a BBQ joint or cigar lounge gig. I'm going to try it. There is this one place I know of, a bbq joint that has bands on weekends, with a noise ord situation, where they don't let the band use amps - DI into soundguy-controlled FOH only - the AFX would be perfect for that place.

Edit to add: Since I got the EV speaker, its all I play at home. It flat rocks. Yes, the dark side. You want it, too.

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
Yea. For a decade now. Recently switched from my old EV ELX112P to a Xitone MBritt. Love the MBritt with the open back in smaller rooms. Fills a smaller space really nicely.

Pic with the EV. Tiny bar in Sausalito.

mattball826

Only when direct and venue requires limited or no stage volume (IEM's in use).

I use anything from Axe FX to Helix, to a Spider V 240. They all sound fine running direct.

Biggest issue with any modeler is to adjust the preset for the live work you do and your own band's mix. Too much gain and you'll get buried in the mix.

Second issue with modeling is getting used to the amplification source ie wedge etc. FR or PA type speakers are not the same as guitar cabs. Compensate for them and you'll like it better. For me, modeling is always a compromise to a good tube amp, but the compromises are worthwhile.

ToneGrail

I saw this 90's cover band in a small bar not long ago that used digital modelers, no amps on stage, IEMs. The sound was so clear and defined I thought I was listening to a DJ at first until I got around the corner and saw that it was actually a live band.

Tripower455

Do it..... I went with a Kemper 2 years ago, for all the reasons stated. My 12 tube amps have been gathering dust ever since.

japanmoran

Yep - haven't gigged with a tube amp in about a year and a half. AX8 into PA, Friedman ASM12, or Xitone 1x12. For small places/gigs, using the smaller Xitone has been perfect - not much diff than having a 1x12 combo tilted up behind me. And the ax8 is smaller than my pedalboard ever was - and contains 200+amps and effects! Crazy. I have a few generic presets for diff music situations - blues jam, classic rock stuff, church P&W, etc - so things have been pretty easy.

gag halfrunt

A fellow of infinite jest
I used an original Axe FX live starting in 2008 for several years, and then I upgraded to a Kemper for gigs after that. There is NO reason not to use a great modeler or profiler for gigging. As a wise man once said, "once the drums kick in, nobody can hear the difference in your tone."

The dirty little secret is that, when playing live, practically no one can hear the difference even before the drums kick in.