1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using Bendix 5992's ? ( 6V6 type tube )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nitehawk55, Feb 13, 2009.

1. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Just put a quad of these 5992's ( 6V6) in my Carr Slant 6V....awesome :love:

Anyone else tried these ?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. K-man

K-man Member

Yeah I have a quad for my Slant 6 too. Nice sounding tubes and they will last forever.

3. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Not to mention that hypnotic blue glow . I've never heard or seen anything made so rugged or sound so good . They are not cheap though but if they last they are worth it .

4. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Great tube but as with all tubes some sound better than others in a given batch.
    The 5992 is definately a strident tube but not always musical in some applications.

5. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

I read quite a few reviews on these and most agreed they were as good as or better than the RCA's . It's possable in some applications they won't sound the best but they do like the Carr amp .

6. realityczech

Dont get me wrong they are great tubes built for military apps therefore beyond reliable but there is a misconception about tubes being consistent and tonally the same across the board for all uses.

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

While others are hashing out what "better" means, in terms of tone, I'll just say that in my experience, 5992 are very smooth and clear. I have not heard them to be strident - much the opposite. In comparison to others (Ken-Rad 6V6GT/G, Ken-Rad 6V6G, Fivre 6V6G, Brimar 6V6GT, Visseaux 6V6G, RCA 6V6GTY, RCA 6V6GT grey glass, GE black-plate, etc.), they have been the most smooth - let's say suave :)

But I don't like them as much as others that have a more raw character. The Bendix are much too polite, for me. For what it is worth, I'm not very taken with the coveted black-plate RCA (gray glass, or any other) - it is too soft and mushy. Lest you think I am just a curmudgeon, I do have my favorites: Visseaux for the smoother side of things, and Ken-Rad 6V6G for overall best clarity and raw, primal crunch.

- Thom

8. realityczech

Dont go Webster on me but
    Strident=strong
    Plus you didnt address the variable factor

9. Timbre Wolf

I guess that strident means something else to you than to me. I thought it meant harsh, or at least unpleasant. Uh - am I waxing Websterian?
    Ah - yes. If you'll send me several quads, I'll czech them out, and get back to you :roll

Hey, we're not going to all have the same experiences. But I'm glad to hear anyone's attempt at a more detailed description of what best, awesome, and killer mean to them.

- Thom

10. realityczech

Timbre Wolves in Berkeley?

Moo!
    You know what I'm talkin about unless your a tube seller.

11. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

To be honest just about any 6V6 tube sounds pretty acceptable in the Slant 6 , that amp does it all in the sound dept and does it well .
    I have compared some current production and some NOS 6V6's with the Tung-sol being my choice in current production tubes and a close match with the RCA black plate and the Bendix 5992 in the NOS tubes . I guess the fact these Bendix tubes are built for extreme use is somewhat reasuring reliability and longevity wise .

I have not had the opportunity to try the Visseaux 6V6G tube , they seem to be somewhat rare and the coke bottle ( I assume they are with the "G" prefex ) is not usually as durable for the riggors of a combo . I'm sure they are an exellent sounding tube as you suggest TW ,....at least for your taste which to everyone is subjective like a lot of other factors to guitarists .

These tubes being manufactured to such high torerences are pretty consistant both match and sound wise.....not much variation was allowed with these apparently or they were rejected .

12. Timbre Wolf

Indeed - I agree on both points.

Some people misinterpret my descriptions of tube character. I'm not saying that my experience is what they should also be experiencing. I'm just clear about what I hear, and own my experience accordingly.

I encourage everyone to describe, in detail, just why they like one tube (or amp/guitar/speaker, etc.) over another, not just exclaim that it is the best. I find discussions of the unique qualities to be much, much more interesting and useful.

- T

13. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Well , to describe how I like mine....smooth and creamy with a touch of growl ( almost sounds like peanut butter with an attitude ) :D

I do understand what you are getting at TW , I guess describing sound for me has not always been a strong point.....hell I have enough trouble typing and spelling on these damn computers .

14. Timbre Wolf

That works just fine. Except that, lately, the "peanut butter with an attitude" has been found to contain deadly Salmonella. So be careful :rotflmao

- T

15. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Timbre Wolf, don't you have, like, a car load of those Bendix tubes?
    I use mostly the Sylvania 6V6's, like the tone, would call it somewhat "soft", anyway, with my collection, I have to choose between the Sylvania, or some RCA's, have a couple of the little metal can version's, but they don't seem to be as "clear", as the bigger bottle glass ones.

16. Timbre Wolf

That'd be cool if I did. I could finance a tour with them - spend as cash, from city to city. :D

- T

17. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

I've got 10 of em and they are staying here :p

18. capnjuan

capnjuan Member

Hi ... yes, I've tried them ... thick, meaty, syrupy, ... darker than JJs. Good-sounding tube; not quite worth what I paid for them but would rather over-pay for higher hanging fruit than just go cheap and get oridinary work-a-day 6V6 tone. Opinions vary ... CJ

19. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

I'm surprised you found them dark....I think they are pretty much spot on but I guess it could depend on the amp , type of guitar and your taste . Of any current 6V6 tubes I don't care to much for the JJ , to me the Tung-sol and EH sound more like a 6V6 .

20. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Bumping an old thread for some further info. The story...I picked up these two Sylvania "military" types from a ham radio guy for a very reasonable price. After doing some comparing and contrasting, I'm wondering if they are actually made by Bendix? Here is an image:
    [​IMG]
    They absolutely have a "warm up period" and certainly glow blue. Anyway, I have been running one in my Victoria 5112 and it is a clean, clear sounding tube compared to most others. I'd love to hear if others are using these, and also wondered if their output is basically the same as a regular 6V6? Thanks for the further discussion.
    Barnzy