Anyone using Bill Lawrence Wilde noiseless strat pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stephanar, Jan 18, 2015.

1. stephanar

stephanar Member

Hey guys!
    I have a set of Bill Lawrence noiseless pickups installed on a strat. The models are L280 neck, L200 middle, L298 bridge. Think they sound great, although i can get a better quack with middle and neck. Middle and bridge sound kind of meh.
    How are you setting setting them up? Closer to strings? Pot values?
    I'm using with 500k pots and closer to strings. I also feel they got a very balanced eq, I don't have to raise them on treeble side as much as I have to with traditional singles.

2. JcyLcy

JcyLcy Member

How old are your strings?
    After playing for almost 50 years, I've found that the maximum quack possible on your guitar never, EVER happens with new or newish strings...

:hide

3. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I've been using the L-280's for a long time now. I am not running them super close to the strings. On the bass side while holding down the low E string at the last fret I measure 4/32" from the bottom of the string to the top of the pickup on the neck and middle pickups. 3/32" on the bridge pickup. On the treble side while holding the high E string down at the last fret I measure 3/32" from the string to the top of the pickup in all positions.
    You will of course have to experiment to determine what works for you. The L-298 bridge pickup is fatter sounding than my L-280 so where mine is set may not work for you.
    You will need a machinists rule to do this. If you don't have one just set the treble side to where you like it. Lower the bass side of each pickup way down and then bring it up until you have the the amount of bass you like.
    They do have a very balance eq. They are very sensitive to how close to the strings they are. Experiment until you like what you hear. Once you get them dialed in I think you will really like them.

4. stephanar

stephanar Member

Thanks guys!

Jcylcy,
    I usually change my strings between a month or two. More than that it dulls the tone too much.

Gtrjoe,
    Which pot values are you using?

5. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Bill Lawrence suggested one nickel between the top of the pickup and the bottom of the high E string with the string fretted at the last fret and 2 nickels on the low E string. Use that as a starting point and adjust to taste.

6. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

I have used them all. 250k pots. Height starts with the nickel method and adjust to tastes.

Your L-200 in the middle may have something to do with the quack. The 200's are designed to sound more like "traditional" strat pups. The 280's and 290's are voiced with a more "even" or "flatter" eq response.

More info than you will ever need is here:
    http://guitarsbyfender.yuku.com/forums/11/t/Bill-Lawrence-Wilde-Gate.html