Anyone Using ChannelStrip?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSchefman, Sep 29, 2005.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I am testing out what is for me a new plug-in, ChannelStrip.

So far it sounds excellent - and you can use sidechains with the dynamics processors. EQ and dynamics in one plug. A little pricy for one plug-in, tho...$350.

Anyone else using this? I usually use Waves stuff. I'd be interested in some of your thoughts.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I've used it for years. Excellent plug. I know some guys who use nothing but that for EQ and compression.

These days I use Waves RenChannel instead because it can do one or two things more. Probably a toss-up, as far as which is better.

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

+1 on the Waves RenChannel... never tried the other... might have to!!

4. LSchefman

I use the Waves Ren plugs as well...came with the Gold bundle.

But I like this plug in. It sounds good.

5. elambo

elambo Member

I have ChannelStrip but don't use it much anymore. There's a preset in SL that does a pretty good job of emulating the master bus compressor of an SSL console. When I use it now it's with that preset.

For the money, TriTone Digital makes an eq (HydraTone) and will soon have a compressor that are both substantially more musical than SL, and just about all other plugins for that matter.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I like the eq a lot more than the Waves stuff, the compressor is ok but not great.

All-in-all it's a great problem soving plug-in.

7. LSchefman

I agree on the compressor, it's not transparent to my ears, though it does sound very nice on certain instruments and vocals.

I like the EQ, it works well on a lot of stuff. It doesn't use much computer overhead.

I think the plug is useful, but pricy. I guess I'll use it until the demo runs out and then decide.

Elambo, I visited the Tri Tone website, and I will probably buy one or more of their plug-ins, they look kinda interesting and the prices are easy to take!

8. elambo

elambo Member

TriTone's prices are a GIFT! I don't know how soon they're prices are going to take off, but relative to the cost and usefullness of other eq plugins, HydraTone is far and away the best value in the market.

I'm still using the demo, but about to buy the real deal. If heard from people who have tried the compressor that it's going to be very tasty.

And they're about to issue a FREE signal coloring plugin that simulates analog channel coloration. WOW!

9. LSchefman

>>And they're about to issue a FREE signal coloring plugin that simulates analog channel coloration. WOW!<<

Just my luck! I already have 64 analog channels that ... uh ...simulate analog channels. Or something. ;)

10. elambo

elambo Member

Is all of your audio running through the analog board? If so then there's no reason to *buy* the simulation plugin :D

11. LSchefman

Yeah, I run all my audio through the analog board. In fact, I use the channel inputs, the output busses, and the tape monitor returns to track and mix, even though I could go direct to the digital stuff.

I realize that this is very old-fashioned, but I like the results (possibly I'm used to hearing everything this way and that's why I like it, but lots of my peers have blown smoke up my butt on my sound, and I WANT to believe them. ;) ).

I am, however, thinking that down the road - assuming that there is a road for my ad/tv work in the future that's worth investing in - I'd like to get one of those high end summing amplifiers like the Grace, the Nemo, or others, and bypass the summing amplifiers on my console while still retaining the option to use the channels (or for that matter, if I wanted to, I could still use the summing amps on my board).

12. elambo

elambo Member

There's been a mixed concensus on the summing boxes. Some like them, but a surprising number of people have sold them off and returned to an all-in-the-box scenario. I've been very interested in them just as you have, but I don't think I'm gonna spring for any of them. If you do, please let us know what you think...

And I don't think your way of mixing is old fashioned at all. I have a few friends that still mix that way and their mixes sound great. I did it myself for quite a while, but with all the remixing I have to do (you know the ad world - there's always a revision) it was becoming too complicated to take snapshots of all the settings of all the analog gear. That's what interns are for, right :) Best just to double-click a ProTools session and have (most of) it back in seconds.

13. LSchefman

Oddly enough, I have one of the early Focusrite Red 4 stereo line preamps, which has eight pairs of balanced +4 inputs (each input is also individually switchable to -10, and there are also several language and input label choices for the display). I bought it to have a high quality preamp I could plug into the console to be able to use various video and audio machines as two-track inputs, in addition to the three on the board.

This is a beautiful sounding box, in truth, and when I patch my monitor speakers directly into its outputs, the sound of recorded material is improved. I have patched the output of various of my computer audio interfaces directly into it as well, bypassing my console, and the sound is extremely clear and open.

The weird thing is, it loses some of the warm personality my console adds. Of course, I realize the warmth is probably just distortion and coloration, but I still kinda like it.

I'm hopeless!

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Why? I think those things make more sense for someone without an analog console.