Anyone Using D tuning (whole step down) on there strats

LOGANTEXASBLUES

l was considering lt for one of mine for the darker more bottem end Doyle Bramhall sound, does anyone do this, whats the main differences ln tone and over feel and sound, does this tuning work well with fuzzfaces

JeffOlson

Robin Trower.

Me.

Heavier strings, yet lower tension, with a bigger, darker sound...

Edited to add: Best with 11s or 12s...

Last edited:
Did it for quite a while in my cover band for certain tunes (although not with a strat per se). Worked great with a set of 11s or 12s.

Now I use the Morpheus Downtune instead as I'm only needing the lower tuning for a few songs.

I wouldn't see the problem? I tune my Tele down to drop C# / Db tuning and it works perfectly. Any lower than that and you'll get some major flub.

clydes001

The results largely depend on how the guitar is setup, but you should be able to try it and see. You may hear some extra buzzing. If you like it, and many people do, you could have guitar setup for that tuning which will address some of the buzzing.

germs

i play DGCFAD and CGCFAD quite a bit. about 50% of the time, actually.

and on 25.5 scale guitars, i really prefer to use 11's with appropriately ajusted action, intonation etc. i'm using Ibanez (same scale) on stage as a main guitar for DGCFAD tuning and using EB 11's.

when we were recording the 2nd album, i used a strat and tele to compliment my other guitarist's LP guitars. sounds HUGE.

jlynnb1

All of my guitars are tuned a while step down, never had any issues whatsoever, and love the feel/sound

JeffOlson

An added benefit: for most people (non-tenors and non-sopranos), it is easier to sing along with everything tuned a whole step down.

bluesmann8

thats where robin trower tunes his strats (double flat) That with bigger strings = fat tone and helps with the vocals as well.

jlynnb1

An added benefit: for most people (non-tenors and non-sopranos), it is easier to sing along with everything tuned a whole step down.
That's exactly why I do it. I found myself dropping almost every song a whole step down, so I figured why not.

Kev O)))

Fu Manchu used to use Fuzz Faces and Fenders dropped a whole step and that sounded awesome.

+1 to the suggestion of using .11's.

Trending Topics