Anyone using Drums on Demand (DoD)?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Grun, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Grun

Grun Member

How about 'Drum Core' and/or 'BFD'? Comments? I looked at all of these products before casting with DoD.

I have almost all of the DOD sets and they have definitely brought my recordings to a different place. Big surprise with rythm based music huh? Anyway, makes me wonder what experience others have had with any/all of these products and what comparisons/contrasts can be made.

One byproduct of DOD for me is I have become much more aware of the craft of drumming and my own drumming has improved as a result. My songs are also much more 'structured' now.

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have been using the drum kits that come with GarageBand & Jam Pack 3 in Logic. I didn't want to go with the loops so I could write my own parts. I did download some DOD samples, and thought they sounded real good. I have been interested in BFD and DrumCore for awhile now, but haven't taken the plunge yet. From what I read, DrumCore might be the least CPU taxing of them all. I suppose DOD is not all that taxing either. Do you use single hits and arrange them?
    With the GB kits, I like that I can control the velocity of the hit. That is one my concerns about going with another drum app.

3. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

You can do that with BFD as well....but it starts getting a little bit too complicated and time consuming. By the time I put together a "kit" and meticulously work each measure and each strike..I'm pretty much mentally and spiritually over doing anything creative.
    That's why I'm really loving Drum Core. If I want to rock I just choose Matt Sorum and there are a half dozen different styles he plays. If I want to do reggae, I just pick Sly Dunbar and again..I have choices. They have so many good drummers in Drum Core playing each beat at dozens of different tempos that it's real easy to put together just about any song you want. Including odd signatures, if you're so inclined.
    It also includes fills AND single hits. And the best part of it is it IS the drummer playing himself and not me trying to program in stuff based on what I think a drummer might do. So it's just as if you were in a recording studio with Terry Bozzio and said: "Hey man...play THIS"
    I love it. And it's not very expensive either.

4. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

Quick follow up on Drum Core...it also has the ability to "build" "kits" from all the different drummers individual pieces and save it as a custom "kit". AND the software is a GREAT way to organize your drums and do searches for styles, drummers, tempos, etc. VERY cool.

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, you got me gassin for DrumCore!

What I have been doing so far, is to find a simple loop, and use that as an inspired click track. Once I get some basic tracks down, I go in an edit the drum track to better fit what I have played. I sometimes find that after I have done all of my tracks, I go back and tweak the drums some more.

Robbie, I like your tag line :) I never listed my stuff, but I never minded when others did, FWIW.

6. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

scott it sounds like drum core would work perfect for you. I just got mine a week ago and it's looking like the easiest way to get great drum tracks.

7. Grun

Grun Member

Occasionally if I'm going for a special effect on an intro, break or ending, I will throw in the 'odd' single hits. I chop the phrases up sometimes too.

Drumcore is sounding pretty cool. One reason I went with DoD originally is price. I see Drumcore is on sale at Zsounds now for $199.

8. DaveDaveDave

DaveDaveDave Member

There's also Steinberg's Groove Agent 2 (v. 3 out next month) and Rayzoon's Jam Stix... lots of different styles!

Dave

9. SteveE9C6

SteveE9C6 Member

I have used DOD extensively and have everything they've put out.. I also play drums and have a Yamaha Maple Absolute 7 piece kit. I am pretty happy with DOD. I have a bunch of other drum loops available as well. I just ordered the upgrade from Sonar 5PE to 6PE and am interested in checking out the Session drummer V2. I used DOD almost exclusively on my CD release six months ago. If you are interested in what I've done with them, you can go to soundclick and search for "Steve Stallings". Warning!
    Pedal Steel and country content!

10. Grun

Grun Member

Steve, that's pretty cool. I had noticed DoD is strong in the 'country flavors' dept.
    Did do anything special when you used them on your CD or did you just go 'right out of the box'? As a drummer, why did you go with DoD?
    I recently bought the 'ethnic/jazz?' collection and I am using some of the 'miscellaneous' stuff to sweeten a few things.

11. SteveE9C6

SteveE9C6 Member

I just used it out of the box... It's just very intuitive for me.