Anyone using Just a single Klon as their overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shawntp, Aug 22, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

I am new to team Klon but I really-really like it so far. Im not going to call it the holy grail or anything and fuel everyones Klon lust but its just a great (and expensive overdrive).

Anyways - ive always been a stacker and have used FullDrives, multiple OCD's, Timmy, TIM, ZenDrive and a few others along the way.

This Klon is not as clear as the TIM, as smooth or with the gain of ZenDrive - but it does its own thing so very well. I almost dont want to stack it with anything (and ive been trying stuff out all yesterday and today).

It stacks great with some pedals but I find if I just jack the Klon's drive up to 3:00 and make sure its pushing the amp I am getting as high gain as I want and also with tones that I prefer to when the Klon is backed off and feeding into or being fed by my other overdrives.

Those big spread out knobs make it easy to roll up gain with your foot and there is no real change in volume associated with rolling the gain.

Obviously we all have different needs at home/on stage and hear different things but right now I am in honeymoon heaven and dont want anything on but this Klon - id rather just roll the gain to my need than stack it up.

Just wondering if anyone else out there uses this thing exclusively for their amp smoking OverDrive needs.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

Shawntp,
    I'm like you. When I play most of my amps, I use the Klon with different pedals. My Orange Overdrive OR120 2x12 combo is the only amp where the Klon is used alone. The Orange has its own thing going tone wise so when I use the Klon with it, its just a very gentle boost. I think to get the most out of the Klon (alone or in combination), the amp really needs to be wound up.
    I just wanted to add, I remember using the Klon alone with my old Deluxe Reverb. The Deluxe has a very nice JBL D120. To get really good tone with that combination, again, you really have to wind it up. It sounds superb. I don't know how loud you run your amp but I think using the Klon alone, you got to drive your amp hard.

3. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

I used to have one and loved what it did, but I've had trouble with it as an overdrive, it would be tempermental where at times I'd get it to crunch pretty well, but at other times I felt like I needed to be pretty hard on it to get it '' there ''

Amazingly enough that pedal responded much better to my Les Paul than my Strat

4. shawntp

shawntp Member

Even when I throttle the amp back a little bit the Klon seems to be playing really well with the attenuator in my Carr Mercury. I think Ive read before people like it with the Carr Rambler which is a super clean amp but has the power drop so you can really push it.

5. m@2

m@2 Member

i leave my klon on full time, so when everything else is off (which is pretty often) it's my only OD. Love it with my twin or bassman. You do indeed have to drive the amp pretty hard for best results when used alone though.

6. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

How is it boosting the OD channel of a class A/B amp? Pretty transparent? Juicy? Does it add much sizzle/fizz? Does it get too dark if you try to remove the sizzle/fizz?

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

here is a case of role reversal...I used my Klon as a low gain TS-like solo pedal on a Blues gig...also had a Timmy on board which I used as my clean boost but hardly ever had to turn it on that night...I remember having a very good eveing soloing that night...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

bump

9. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I cannot answer the last question as I run the Klon with nmv amps running at 6 or over.

I do use multiple ods but I dont stack them. I'll run a EH LPB1 or KOT clean boost after the Klon. THe Klon is the main overdrive. I will rarely use it as a boost. Having said that the gain is a 9-10 o clok.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The only thing for me (I like it BEST as a OD, with some gain, but also do like it as boost) is that the Klon doesn't play with all pedals well. There are combinations with the Klon involved where the sound gets too thin when the Klon is off. I wish there was a way to disable the buffer in the Klon when desired.

I "blame" the Klon because these other pedals I notice are pedals that all play with each other just fine....and with other pedals. When the Klon is in the equation, and this is not with ALL pedals, but with some it can get ice picky when off...

11. shawntp

shawntp Member

I am noticing as I use my Klon more that it is Picky about where it sits and how much you boost it or push it into another pedal. Every time I try different stacks or some of my tried and true favorites it keeps coming up that I like the Klon better all by itself (as a boost and as an OD cooking my amp).

Ive still only had this thing for a few days but when I just use this Klon I get plenty of rip, great tone, but can still hear and feel what distinguishes my guitars apart from one another more.

My max gain level is about what the Klon is capable of and while a little noisy at that top end of the gain - I still prefer the Klon near max & pushing my amp for medium-higher gain than any stack ive tried so far.

Now let me get back to my honeymoon in progress....

12. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

Only using the Klon. My Naylor gets me the nice breakup type clean sound I want and when I need to push it for a solo - the Klon does the trick beautifully.