Anyone using Line6 AMPLIFi live?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rsm, Jan 16, 2015.

1. rsm

rsm Member

75, 150 or FX100. How does it work live? Which one are you using? This would be for small clubs, under 300 people, with PA,...

I know it is not meant for live use...my Engl half stack with 100W per side is not meant for home use, but that is where I use it! lol

2. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

My friend's singer uses an FX100 live and just mics the guitar speaker. It sounds rather decent live too.

3. rsm

rsm Member

Thanks, I am considering the FX100

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

They are toys. Even if you like the tone the build is very cheap.

5. Lain

Lain Member

According to one of the Line6 guys here, there are loads of people gigging with the Amplifi. :rotflmao

I have yet to see someone gig with an amplifi though.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  6. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

This is the consensus of the retailers I had spoke with about them. The build quality is not meant for live use and its a hard sell.

7. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Everyone drink!

8. rsm

rsm Member

Well, I like toys too. :) My playroom is full of them!

I ordered my AMPLIFi FX100, downloaded the Andriod App and loaded songs into my phone to start the tone search. For the price and what it can do, seems like a great bargain to me. I've not heard AMPLIFi live which is why I asked, but I've heard Line 6 products used live and they sounded great to me - guess it depends on the pilot :) like anything else. FWIW, I had a M9 that I did not bond with as TC Electronic / Helicon seems more intuitive to me and just works for me.

Edit: That said, I like the workflow and idea of controlling the AMPLIFi with my phone

I'm not a Line 6 fanboi, but the Line 6 bashing around here gets old.

9. wcfields

wcfields Member

pretty much..

10. rsm

rsm Member

For the price I'm not expecting the build quality of my G-System! I don't beat on my gear, and for the price if it gets destroyed at a dive bar gig easy to replace. If it ends up working for me, I'll get a backup :cool:

11. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

A particularly fun day at Line 6 is when we perform drop tests. Our test lead will take a pilot build unit out to the back parking lot and drop it from chest-height. Check it, take notes, and then drop it on its end. Check it, take notes, and then drop it on the other end. Check it, take notes, and then drop it on its face. Then smash the crap out of it.

Everything's on high-speed video so we can figure out where any weaknesses may lie.

During our AMPLIFi tests, we also dropped a handful of popular sub-$500 competitors. AMPLIFi stood up better than all of them. One amp (that will remain nameless) wasn't screwed or even glued together—the wrapped tolex is what kept it together! Good times.

Yeah, AMPLIFi has a thick plastic top (it has to be for Bluetooth reception), but the cabinet's all wood and the wraparound grill is all steel. I'd say that's not bad for a box purposely designed to sit in your living room. We'd never go as far to tell you it's not meant for gigging, but then again, I use Apple's version of powerpoint to build complex, interactive UI mockups.

12. Lain

Lain Member

13. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Have you dropped one, Lain? I wouldn't expect you'd get close enough to find out, seeing as AMPLIFi seemingly murdered your family and punched your cat. :D

Or maybe explain why you think it's built poorly? Sounds like there are lots of assumptions in this thread.

14. Lain

Lain Member

I never said either, did i?

Why don't you explain why it's built poorly?

15. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

You're right—you didn't. Apologies. :(

Sometimes I think you and Eagle1 need to get a room, tho'. Jumping in to undermine every single Line 6 thread is really... curious... behavior.

I'd expect it from Uli Behringer, but not you.

16. Lain

Lain Member

I don't know what Uli Behringer has done to you but i can assure you that i am not him. I'm just amazed at a lot of people here.

Oh and, apology accepted.

17. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

FWIW, my comment above was not an assumption or meant to bash Amplifi or anything Line6 reated.
    Simply stated that in my conversations with a brick and mortar store owner and two online retailers all three said the same thing when asked about reliability/durability in varying environments. IE- bars, garages, kids, etc.
    YMMV.
    Sorry if that derailed things in this thread in any way or ruffled anyone the wrong way.

18. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

LOL, Win.

19. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

Whilst the Amplifi amps seem perfectly well-built to me, the 75w one wasn't loud enough for me to consider one for live use. Most of the gigs I play are a bit rough and ready, and our drummer hits REALLY hard - 100w amps minimum, if I'm playing solid-state. Our lead guitarist uses a 40w Mesa 1x12 and can be heard fine in most rooms :D

20. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Oh crap—did I say that out loud? Maybe I won't be at NAMM after all. :wave