Anyone using Mesa Express???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gibson08, Aug 2, 2008.

1. gibson08

gibson08 Member

I know this is not the best place to ask questions about Boogie products(alot of haters here!!) But I was at the local GC today and I am kind of looking for a smaller grab & go type amp that has a good clean and nasty rock tone and I am really starting to be impressed with the 5:25 version and wondering is anyone here using this amp?, gigging with this amp?? I was playing a new LP Traditional(this is a whole other thread!) and something was sounding great (maybe it was all in the guitar?) Incredible cleans and the dirty side was forever sustain and mean sounding, please sound in on this as I want to hear all comments!! Thanks!!

2. xrist04

xrist04 Member

The Mesa Express 5:25 earned an "Editors' Pick" award from Guitar Player magazine.

3. gibson08

gibson08 Member

I can see why, very versatile, great tones!!

4. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

But isn't it just a repackaging of the F-30? which is a repackaging of the DC-30 which is just a repackaging of the Caliber series, which is just a repackaging of.... I mean every one of those generation of amps I've tried always sounded the same! Am I the only one who thinks that Mesa just keeps renaming the same amps every 4 years?

5. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Actually I owned a DC-5 many years ago, those amps were great in their own way, nothing like the Express, the cleans on the DC were usable but not great, and the dirty channel was a little more diverse, you could do classic rock to metal and the Express does not quite make it to the metal category.

6. gibson08

gibson08 Member

7. angelo

angelo Member

Isn't it great? A company like Boogie that makes and sells "expensive" amps continuously works to rework / revoice / improve mid priced offerings. Some with more success than others, but they haven't dogged the midpriced player. The "repackaging" is an additional evolution rather than the same circuit in a new color. It is a great thing to see from an independent US manufacturer.

Again, some with more success than others, but they certainly don't stagnate.

I only played the 5:25 in the store. I liked its cleans and versatile disto (but not enough to replace my Lonestar Special or Mark IV). I liked it beter than the Nomad or F series.

8. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

I love the Express 5:25 1x12. I'm ordering one in green with a tan grille. I bought the Lonestar and am returning it for the 5:25. It just covers every base that I'm looking for. Literally, it's one of the best amps I've heard in a while...and I've been listening.

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

No it is not...It doesn't sound like any of the above mentioned amps...Randall and his few amp designers built this amp from the ground up, and it sounds like it...a Great channel switcher

10. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I still like my 5:25 after more than a year.

I have the original one with the 10" speaker. I got it because it was very versatile and a great grab and go small combo. It has a great 10" speaker for lower volumes, but at higher volumes I find it gets flubby/farty. It works great with other 12" cabs, so the 10" is still versatile.

You should consider the 12" speaker version or the head.

11. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I like the 5:50 Express better than the 5:25. The big 6L6's sound better than the EL84s IMO.

12. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Thanks for all the response everyone, certainly alot of mention of the F series, How about an F-50? Which channels does it use, lonestar clean? which dirty?

13. kselbee

kselbee Member

In this price range I can't imagine a better EL84 amp than the Budda SD18.

14. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Have you played an Express??

15. MartinC

MartinC Member

I didn't mind the clean channel on the Express ... contour control produced some very nice results ... but found the OD was either muffled sounding, or thin on the bass side of things if I dialled out the muffled-ness. Never owned one though ... so that could've been my lack of patience or skill in doing the dialling in (which I'm told requires both on a Mesa).

16. XKnight

XKnight Member

I played a Mesa 5:25 with a LP Traditional at GC too and got some incredibly righteous low volume tones with that combination. The 5:25 and the LP Traditional are both on my wish list. I really could not find a tone I didn't like and the versatility was truly amazing.

17. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Just curious, what kind of guitar were you playing?? I played a Mira thru it and it was a little thin but I play mostly LPs so I think its a better fit for that amp, although it def thickened up with the contour, def need more time on the amp!

18. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Was it just me or was it a little magical?? Sometimes you play all this different stuff and you just hit a great combination of guitar and amp!! If I had lots of money I would have bought them both on the spot!!!

19. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Anybody actually gig with one of these Express series amps??

20. MartinC

MartinC Member

American Deluxe HSS Strat.

I like lots of detail and clarity ... which probably translates into a dislike of muddiness. Some people might hear that muddiness as smokey warmth. Which, incidentally, meant that I REALLY loved the Mira when I tried one a couple of weeks ago. Your "thin" is my "clear and detailed". I've never gotten on with humbucker equipped Lesters for the same reason. They just sound flat and muddy when it's me playing.

Given your post below though, I'd say you might have found what you're looking for. One man's food is another man's poison ... and I've most definitely heard other players playing through Lesters and Mesas with great results. If you're hearing great things when you're plugging in then I'd be jumping in and forgetting what other people think ;)