Anyone using Propellerhead Reason 3.0?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jeffhef, Feb 13, 2006.

1. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I've had it for about a week. Are there any good books or tutorials that step you through this software? I've heard lots of stuff done using it but it's not a real intuitive piece of software. Any suggestions?

jeffhef

2. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

The Propellerheads website has a lot of tutorials and theres a independent forum called Reason Freaks that has some good info. I bought the Thomson book "Reason 3 Power" it comes with a DVD with some tutorials. Hang in there. It's a great program. The soft synths alone are worth the price.

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

yup, the propheads website is a really great resource.
    as long as U have Ur software registered on the website there's also a lot of free stuff U can download to make Ur reason experience that much more pleasurable.
    i suppose that 'intuitive' is a relative term, but my experience tells me that if U are used to working w/ old skool sequencers and analog synths it's pretty straight forward.

4. retro

retro Member

When I first got Reason I bought the Producing Music With Reason CD.
    It's a great tutorial and got me up to speed quickly and painlessly. I would certainly recommend it for anyone who may not find Reason intuitive.

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=reasontutorial

I have not used the Thompson Course books for Reason but the Thompson books I have used have been great so I would think they would be good too.

And the site as mentioned also has good info...like the close up Reason section if you haven't been already...

http://www.propellerheads.se//products/reason/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=closeupreason

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I have the Adapted version. Pretty cool stuff. Still can't manage to hook up some Dennis Chambers type drum loops and patterns. I might need to upgrade. I was also looking at FXpansion BFD as a possible loop/pattern source. I love how you can move the mics around. All the upgrades are pricy tho! :eek:

7. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

It is pricey software. But for what you can do with it - it appears to be a bargain. I'd like to do some of the stuff David Crowder Band is doing with it. Anyone familiar with them? They use reason pretty heavily.

jeffhef

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

love what the goatee man is doing w/ reason, and how he packages alot of the host files on his last CD's, so you can recreate them, but honestly, his peeps are only scratching the surface.

think the gents/ladies in underworld, aphex twin, everything but the girl, beth orton, radiohead, paul oakenfeld, u-ziq, dj shadow, kid logic, kid koala use it to a whole other level. ;)