Anyone using the AxeTrak Isolation Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamison162, May 15, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

2. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Yes, I have one - dont use it very much, though - it's too much of a PITA to eq properly (you have to do tons of corrective eq'ing to fix its inherent boxy tone).

- Chris

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

That's what I woulda figured.

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I have one and like it. Yeah, not as great sounding as a cranked speaker moving air, but definitely usable in a project studio where volume is an issue.

5. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I'm stuck using one at present in a musical production. Perhaps there is something wrong with it. When I try to turn up any amp I've used with it the sound gets sort of splatty. You can also hear a weird sort of phase with the sound. It seems like a good idea but another friend of mine has one and also was not happy with it.

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I dig mine. No major EQ issues for me.

7. vinceh

vinceh Supporting Member

I recently bought one and at first didn't care for the sound, too much low mids or something.

Per the manual, I then tried the little imp impedance adaptor (xlr to 1/4 inch) which comes with the axetrak and now I think the axetrak sounds quite good.

8. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

I have 2 of them. One is anolder model that has the original speaker and the other is the newer version and has the new and improved speaker. The older ones have a mid hump in the 3k region and if you don't like that it will definitely alter the tone. The newer versions feature a speaker that is flatter in all of the freequencies and it can handle more bass and is much better at cleans.

All in all they are great tools but you need to weigh the pluses and minuses.

On the plus side, its a plug and play device. You plug your amp into it and then plug either the xlr or 1/4 adapter into your soundcard and go. It has the microphone built in so there is no need for miking and its a hell of a lot quieter then any ISO cab ive used.

On the minus side, you cannot change the position of the mic and you cannot swap speakers like you could on other iso boxes. The At can also sound boxy but most iso's do IMHO.

If you want a plug and play ISO box that is easy to use and quiet as hell then the Axetrak is the way to go.

If you like to tweak and you want to experiment with different speakers and microphones/ mic positions then another ISO cab like the Grendel Deadroom or demeter would be the way to go

and

If you have a ton of cash and room then the vocal booth solution would be the way to go!
    Hope this helps and all the best!!

Ralph