Anyone using the Bad Cat Unleash V2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Transmisser, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Seems like the v2 unleash has been out for a little while now and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it. Considering picking one up to run with my DRRI.

Bueller?

2. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Not so sure it's available yet...plus the Fryette power station is the darling of TGP right now. It's getting all the love

4. nycLPplayer

nycLPplayer Member

subbed....I love my V1 black but interested in hearing how the headphone option works on the v2. I have a THD 2ohm for my hotplate and a Weber Z matcher to make anything work but the Unleash just works so well.

5. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

I have the updated V1 fresh from BadCat. I tried it with my vintage champ. The output of the champ is 4 ohms. The input of the unleash is 8 ohms. I tried anyway and sounds wonderful ran thru a celestion g12h 30. I don't think any harm will come from it (famous last words) I was going to buy the V2 but this seems to work great.

6. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

They arent out yet.

7. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

V2 available yet?

Comparisons to the Power Station?

8. Ugh

Ugh Supporting Member

So, you sent your V1 Unleash to Badcat for V2 updates? What all was changed, and how much $? (Sorry if that's a bit gauche...)

9. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

What I had was a problem caused by me plugging in the cables wrong. They have gotten a new update on version one where if you were to accidentally switch cables on the input and outputs you won't damage the unit, as is what happened to me. I was fortunate that they fixed it for free. Talk about great customer service! They called it an update, but I think V2 has other features.

10. jamme61

jamme61 Supporting Member

IMHO it needs the eq options of the Fryette PS- you need to tweak the tone as you lower the volume. I had the PS and EQ is crucial part of the attenuator final solution IMHO I hope the v2 gets an eq added. PS was great sounding unit just a little to big for me to carry around to gigs. I have had a lot of attenuators and the Fryette has the best sound and feel IMHO would love a smaller lighter solid state option - V2?

11. kbgear

kbgear Member

Ideally the attenuator should be completely transparent. The fact that you "need" EQ on the PS makes me leery, among other things. The V2 also doesn't have EQ, but I'd actually listen to the product before guessing that it needs EQ. :-/

12. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves :cool:

Dexter.Sinister and 8len8 like this.
  13. kbgear

kbgear Member

Yep, but that's a specific effect that IMHO should be part of the attenuator. Two variables (presence and depth) aren't going to get that graph. If the Unleash doesn't have some form of compensation then yeah, that would be a drawback.

I guess what I'm saying is that the ideal re-amp would be transparent SS that either automatically applies compensation or has a single knob or switch for the overall level of the complex compensation curve. Like the Ironman II. I suffer from a bit of cognitive dissonance when I think about running my tube amp into another, separate tube amp so I can be quieter. :-/

Bieling3 likes this.
  14. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I feel your pain, and I hate to be that guy, but "transparent" does not equate to "applies compensation". Besides, how is applying EQ by using one in the loop ( I use a Fromel Shape or an EQD Tone Job) burdensome? It is set and forget...after that it is " automatic". How often would you change the amount of attenuation enough to need multiple EQs to compensate for the F-M effect?

Don't worry; it works. I use this on one amp and a Freyette PS on another and both are quite good.