Anyone using the Dano Cool Cat Chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KissTone, Mar 20, 2006.

1. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

Current pedal $$$ are low and I wanted to twiddle with a chorus for a while (nostalgia for the 80s perhaps?).:eek:

Anyway, I can't seem to get the search feature to work (??) and was hoping to get any opinions on the Dano Cool Cat Chorus since they appear to be available for low dollars.

Thanks!

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've got one in a box somewhere. I bought it and the Fab-Tone when they first came out in the mid-90s. The two together made a perfect 80s hair band sound.

3. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

Okay, "in a box somewhere" doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement. ;)

But might "in a box somewhere" mean for sale?

4. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

I've used one for years. I don't really use chorus much now, but if I did, it would still be my go-to box. The key is to get the original 18V version. To my ear, the newer 9V model lost "something". It doesn't seem quite as rich. You can see by the pic, it has seen plenty of use.

[​IMG]

5. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

Great sounding chorus!

Gibsonchild is correct, 18v is the way to go.

Oh by the way, I just listed one on EBAY tonight.

Item number: 7400725747

6. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

i used to have an 18 volt one. scored it on ebay for $35 a few years ago.

be fair warned though, it is an intense tonesucker when bypassed!

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I'm another one who would use my Cool Cat if I used chorus at all. I like it as much as any chorus I've ever used. Keeping it on the off chance I ever figure out what chorus pedals are for...

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

It's not in use anymore because yes, it is a tone killer when bypassed. I've upgraded all my stuff in the past five years, and none of the Dano pedals made the cut. I've got almost the entire mini series in storage too.

For sale? No way. You never know when I might need that sound for some project. Besides, in case you haven't heard my gear mantra:

Never part with any piece of gear ever. You will always regret it.

9. wildstrat

wildstrat Member

I had the 9v version for a while and liked it - but eventually sold it. Overall, two things bothered me: (1) When engaged it seemed to add an upper midrange boost that I found annoying, and hard to dial out entirely, and (2) It did not have a 'level' control.

I don't use chorus too much, but when I do I use my Boss CE-5 which gives me a good sound, with an effect level control.