Anyone using the Egnater Tourmaster???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gibson08, Jul 14, 2008.

1. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Hey Everyone!! I know I dont post too much but I am wondering if anyone is using these amps?? They seem like a cool amp to me, great sounds(playing in GC) some people have told me they fizz out at higher volumes, and I have been reading posts here that there were some quality issues, are they better now? Where are they made?? Any info would be appreciated, as they seem like a great value and I might go in that direction. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to know as well!!

3. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

they are a little noisy when going high gain but i liked the cleans alot. Higher gain was so-so.

4. mmorse

mmorse Member

They can be very fizzy if not set right. Keep the contour off and set the gain channels to classic mode and you can get rid of most of the fizziness. I got very usable tones on all 4 channels when I played through one.

They have been out for a bit now and I've only seen a couple come up for re-sale. That says something to me.

5. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Thanks for the answers so far but,,only two people are playing these amps????

6. egkor

egkor Member

Ya know, 1/2 of the answers are going to be "sucks!", other 1/2 "great!".

Just pick one up from GC, you will have 30 days to audition it for yourself.

BTW if you do a search here you should find several threads about the Tourmaster.

There's a few videos of them at youtube.com.

-Gary K

7. scottro123

scottro123 Member

I have a playing identity chrisis, where I equally love 90's AltRock, Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and funk. Channels 4 through 1 give me those sounds respectively without ever touching a control (Gotta keep a tubescreamer for the generic BluesRock lead tone).

I've owned the 2-12 combo for a few months. It's got a big sound from a relatively compact package. The drawback is that it is quite heavy, as many others have pointed out.

The tone controls are quite useful and powerful. With neutral controls (everything at 12) the amp tends to be more singing or vocal than fizzy. See the youtube Namm clip for an example. It definitely has a more smooth than punchy character on the overdrive. The contours can be dialed to get the amp into 80's Metal or Modern Rock fizz if that's your thing. I think the cleans are fantastic.

The master volume is very linear, making it easy to dial in very good tones even at Baby-sleeping-next door volumes. The drawback at these low volumes is that the attack on the mid-gain sounds gets weird when the power section is really starved.

One final thing to note about the amp regarding the noise issues some have talked about--The guitar pickups seem to pickup a lot of noise when sitting within 2-3 feet of the amp, sort of similar to a computer monitor. Standing a couple of feet away it is not a big issue. Also it has a cooling fan which is audible when not playing. Regarding quality, it feels very sturdy. I believe the power tubes are mounted to the chassis, not the circuitboard. From the rig-talk message board where Egnater regularly posts, there have been reports about the GT preamp tubes being unreliable, but no issues with the amp itself. I haven't had any problems.

I'd consider dumping the Tourmaster if/when Egnater does a lighter stripped-down 50/20 watt 2-channel w/boost at a price point between the Tourmaster and Rebel.

8. hilly1212

hilly1212 Member

Most of the noise issues are caused by the proximity to the amp. The toridal transformer design and being close to the amp causes more noticable noise. Move away from the amp. If it's just not acceptable to move further away from it then the transformer needs to be sheilded.

9. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

How does the power scaling work, can you tell the difference if you fiddle with the power sections?

Fizzy-ness, at least how I see it, is usually associated with too much preamp gain.

10. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

yeah I got that too while trying it out. Lots of noise on the gain when you're close to it. Great amp tones though, I will definated pick up one of these heads, great job by Bruce

11. chadprsman

chadprsman Supporting Member

i own one and dig it. no issues switching channels and found it takes some tweaking to get the gain channels dialed in(for me contour off). I've got all 4 channes set up for totally different sounds-all usable and all get used allot(that didn't happen on a mb roadking years back), not to mention pretty good deal! other posters are dead on regarding noise issues.

12. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Any of you guys that own these amps think to swap out the tubes? I'm sure that may help with the fuzziness.

13. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Seems like a versatile amp, just kind of waiting it out for honeymoons to end for everyone or if I see a bunch listed on Flea-Bay, then get some real answers on if the amp is all that or not.

14. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

well I live not so far from Bruce's shop, so when I pick one up and want to deal with the noise issues, I'll drop by there and get his take.

15. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Still curious about these amps, stopped by GC the other day and took one of my fav. LPs and decided I would hang out and play a bunch of diff amps, I think that I liked it as much as any of them, they did not have a Roadking and I really want to play one of them, but had lots of usable tones coming from that amp, a couple of questions though, where are they made??, and am I going to be disappointed when i bring it home and crank it up??

16. Rod

The Tourmaster sounds great at low volumes, but at band levels it really is amazing!! The amp is made in China under strict build quality control from Bruce Egnater...Great bang for the buck.....Worth twice what it sells for..

17. gibson08

gibson08 Member

CHINA??? Man I was afraid of that!!

18. Rod

If the amp was made in the USA it would be $3000

19. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Bah! Nothing wrong with that.:NUTS

20. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Yeah , I know, but I would pay more if it was made somewhere more......ah, nevermind.:stir