Anyone using the Fishman Aura?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by smoove, Nov 7, 2005.

1. smoove

smoove Guest

Is anyone using the Fishman Aura? Any opinions, input, warnings, etc.?

I have a Breedlove C25 on the way with a Schertler BLUESTiCK pickup in it. And I have not heard that yet, so I don't know what I may or may not need but have between it and a DI.

On paper, the Aura at least LOOKS like a good way to add back in the ambience of a mic'ed guitar on top of the sound produced by a under-saddle mic system (Even if the BLUESTiCK is a particularly good saddle mic system, I may need something else to go with it).

Anyone?

2. Den

Den Member

While you're considering the Aura, don't overlook another option in the same vein ... the DTar Mama Bear. I tried the Aura and thought it was good, but not great. Of course, different guitars, rigs and ears yield different results. Based on tremendous reviews on the acoustic guitar forums, I ordered a Mama Bear just last night. I'll let you know.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I tried the Aura when it first came out; I had problems with it and sent it back. I could not get a good sound out of it at all. Left a bad taste in my mouth; but this was VERY early on when it literally just hit the retail channel. I just was so frustrated I never wanted to try it again.

I have since tried the Aura built into a Martin and was much more impressed. Not enough to buy it, but it sounded good.

Just my opinion.

4. blad51

blad51 Member

5. smoove

smoove Guest

Thanks for the review - I read it and found it very helpful.

So much so that I spent about an hour and a half today trying one out with a friend at a GC.

I think I would definately want to try it with my own guitar. There is no specific model of that guitar, but there are similar ones.

I tested it with a Taylor 710 and got some great results form it. It really did what it claimed to, which is make it sound more like a mic-ed acoustic. Of course, it will never be the same, but it was much closer and A/B-ing it with just the Piezo yielded some great results.

And with the features (DI, EQ, Tuner/Mute, Feedback Suppressor, Compressor), it could replace (simplify) a good part of my acoustic floor setup.

So, in conclusion: Wow. I'll give it a shot with my own guitar here soon.

Scott

6. tom grossheider

tom grossheider Member

Eric, I live about 15 minutes from Orland Park, If I can get to your show on Dec 23rd I'll look you up.
    Tom G
    Mokena, IL

7. blad51

blad51 Member

Tom:

That's cool! Hope to see you there.

I live in Orland Park just the other side of I-80 from you. (Area of 179th street and 104th ave.) Our keyboard player lives in Tinley Park. (Area of 84th Ave and 179th street)

Eric

www.johnnyjustice.com

8. tom grossheider

tom grossheider Member

Cool Eric,
    I live around 194th and Wolf road, we have something to do that night but I hope to be done to be able to see the show. Take care.
    Tom

9. KLB

KLB Member

With any of these digital processors, I would be concerned with latency affecting the quickness of attack and immediacy of feel, especially if the undersaddle pickup is not blended in to any significant degree.

That said, the new Martins with the Aura system built-in are appealing, especially the OMC Aura model.

10. clarkram

clarkram Member

ditto to KLB's comment, I have an OMC Aura and it does an impressive job of emulating the sound of a condensor mic. The latency issue occurs when the Aura signal is over 75% (25% undersaddle transducer) and you use a heavy and fast pick attack. Most non players would never notice and an easy way to offset the effect is to use a little more of the UST in the signal.

11. sws1

sws1 Member

I just got the 000C-16RGTE with built in Aura. It sounds unbelievable through PA at home. Can't wait to gig with it.