Anyone using the Mesa Roadster?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by popsongsmith, Sep 27, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I found a used one relatively cheap, and I'm considering pulling the trigger. Four channels sure is enticing, but here's my question:

Am I sacrificing anything by going with such a complex amp? I'm used to single channel class A amps, like the Maz 38.

Cheeers!

2. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

They are no more complictated that a single channel amp to use. Just think of it as 4 single channel amps stacked on top of each other.
    Gain/eq/volume just repeated a few times, dat's all.

3. samjbrowne

samjbrowne Member

It also weighs about the same as four single channel amps stacked on top of each other. If you haven't already, you might like to try picking one up and then imagine yourself carrying it to and from your car, up stairs, onto stages, and then back off stages, down stairs, back into your car and then out of your car to wherever you keep your amp....seriously, they are crazy heavy amps.

4. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Yeah, well, all my amps are heavy, so I don't worry about that. I have never picked up a tube amp that was not heavy.

5. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I just chuckle....Weight??....lol!!!!! Anyways...Roadster is a great amp and no top end "fizz" like the rectifiers

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

the combo weighs 100 pounds

7. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I have a Road King II, which is similar & totally agree that if you think of it as 4 separate amps, it will be much easier to dial in. Just read & refer to the manual(seriously!), & you'll dig the hell out of it!:crazy

Tony

8. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

Do eeet. Your NMV amp will still love you.

9. Kelly

Kelly Member

Just buy a metal zone pedal or something. Your Dr Z has better cleans, and the Roadster's distortion sounds like a cheap pedal.

10. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

I don't think you know how to set up a Roadster, Kelly.

11. Kelly

Kelly Member

Just don't like them. Apart from the Mark series, I haven't met a Boogie that I did like.

12. popsongsmith

that's putting it a bit strongly, don't you think?

the Maz was nice, but felt a bit "stiff" if that makes sense. I guess most of the Z's are made to be opened up wide, but that's not always practical. I need something that will sound sweet at moderate volumes.

13. popsongsmith

14. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I think the Roadster is a very versatile, good sounding amp.

15. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

Seriously? What did they do with the fizz? :confused:

16. gibson08

gibson08 Member

I am sorry but there are a few post that need correcting here and I will start with this one,,,, I think the Roadster is a very versatile, Great sounding amp,, there that one really bothered me!!:D

17. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Yeah, buy the roadster. It has KILLER cleans and two hi gain channels to die for.

I own one, and its awesome. I still am on a tone search but its just awesome, and in my opinion the best amp mesa currently makes.

18. popsongsmith

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger. Yeah, it's 4 amps in one. but really, when you start to play with the voicing and power amp options, the options increase exponentially. you could argue that with the voicings, 50/100w control and rectifier options that it's more like 48 amps in one ( 4 channels x 3 voicings x 2 wattage x 2 rectifier = 48)

19. grayeyes777

grayeyes777 Active Member

i owned a roadster and did a whole u.s. tour with it. then i did a live recording with it and had enough of it. i offloaded it and got a marshall jvm and couldn't be happier. the roadster is noisy as hell... it has a scooped mid (rectifier) sound even with the mids dimed... the clean channel doesn't have enough clean headroom... channel 2 doesn't have enough gain on tap... the amp is very stiff feeling and hard to play fluid leads with... i could go on. It's not for me but some love recto's so let your ears and hands guide you. The marshall jvm sounds and feels twice as good imo.

20. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

The JVM? The JVM sounds like a toy compared to the Roadster....:worried, I can't see it. I played the JVM and wanted to like it so I can say I own a marshall, but damn.......... I know I really like the MESA's and my posts are mostly in favor of them, I just don't see how the JVM holds up to the Roadster....

You may want to play with the tubes, the cleans are stellar man. Did you have it on the 100 watt setting?