Anyone using the Mirage RAF Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Frenster, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

I've heard good things about it and would love to hear from people who use it, and from people who used to use it and now use something else.

Might be my next purchase.

2. Frenster

anyone even have one?

3. Montez

Montez Member

Frenster,
    There are several posters here that have bought a Mirage.

I am curious what folks say as well after long term. I can always use the feedback constructively.

4. Frenster

Great to see you chime in, Montez. I wish I could find one to try out here. I've been on a compressor hunt for the past year or so. Haven't found anything yet that I'm totally happy with. I'd love to hear from some users.

5. RSK

RSK Member

I've been using the Mirage for about 6 months and have Keeley, Bi comp, Demeter, MXR, also. I find that for general use, the Mirage enhances tone naturally and I keep coming back to it. For big squeeze sounds I use one of the others. Also, it does not subtract treble or add it, just a nice sheen. Great compressor for all styles of music.

6. Dennis E.

Dennis E. Silver Supporting Member

I've had mine for over a year, and anytime I'm plugged in it's on.

It's the secret sauce to everything I play.

I generally dislike compressors .... don't really like the squishy types. Sold my TC, sold my Tonepress, sold my Keeley. Kept the Mirage because it does its thing without taking all the bounce out of my dynamics and sound.

I love the extra oomph that it gives to everything I play that's clean or semi-clean. Yet nothing sounds overly squished.

But I also really love that it allows me to actually turn down my amps yet still get gain, sustain, and even feedback from my dirt boxes. It's allowed me to get more usable gain with less volume in a real world playing situation.

This means happy guitar player, happy soundmen, happy patrons, and happy bar owners. :)

It even makes my modelers sound better. :eek:

Wish I could afford two to keep on both my boards.

Hope that helps.

Have fun,
    Dennis E.

7. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

I've had mine getting on a year now I believe.

I use it selectively. I'm also not a big fan of compressors. As said above, it's not a huge compression sound. I've only ever wanted some light compression to lay under things in a transparent way. This is what the description said it did, and it delivers.

It's been great for doing slower blues and leading the song(added sustain/punch), more of a pop overdrive(the punchy fit into the mix) or just want more of a focused sound(add to taste).

Seems to be the compressor for those who don't like compression. Great pedal Montez!

8. Frenster

bump for more replies...

9. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

I'm one of those guys who can't keep posting about how great this pedal is, for exactly the same reasons as Dennis E. I tend to run the compression knob high (3 o'clock) and the level low (9 o'clock). This really fills out my sound, adds sustain, and makes my OD's bloom--without the squash that has made me sell every compressor I've owned to this point. I've got a bunch of nice OD's, but could easily live with just the Mirage and a good analog delay. What's it going to take for people here to see just how good this pedal is?!?

10. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Since I have an AYA R-Comp waiting for me when I get off of the road ...Anyone want to spoil my GAS rush ?
    Anyone able to speak from experience between these 2 comps ?

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

First of all, I just can't seem to bond with compressors. That being said the RAF was the best out of all the boutique ones I've had. Very transparent and really added some depth to my sound.

12. Frenster

I'd love to hear about that also!

13. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

I tend to use a lot of hammer-ons and pull-offs in my playing, so need a compressor that doesn't compromise attack. To come back to Fenster's original post, has anyone tried a compressor that preserves attack as well or better than the Mirage? (I'd heard that the Tone Press was good in this regard, but Dennis E. apparently felt otherwise.)