Anyone using the new Carl Martin Quattro?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, Jan 29, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

This thing looks cool, simple, and sturdy. Anyone have an opinion?

cheers!

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

i would like one for small gigs and practice situations... the only thing that worries me is... if one of the effects goes on the fritz you are SOL....

3. gearboy

gearboy Member

My buddy is gigging one right now and absolutely loves it. He did some kind of creative patching and looping with it, but so far so good. Said the compressor is one of the best he's heard, and prefers the distortions to that of the amp he uses (Marshall combo).

4. FleaRadical

FleaRadical Member

I have the tremolo version and I love it. It's great for when you want a small grab-and-go board with a reasonable amount of features. I really like the overdrives as they can cover a lot of territory (at least for my classic rock/blues rock needs). I emailed CM and asked if they had the overdrives in a single pedal. Unfortunately they don't. It would be extra-cool if they had a tuner built into it.

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I have the tremelo version as well (every time I hear chorus it makes me start looking for parachute pants and it's all downhill form there).

It's a great unit -

-Compression is very transparent and works GREAT as a clean boost (and I dislike a lot of compressors - sold two old Dyna Comps over the years)
    -Overdrives work great for me (wouldn't get you into metal territory but covers everything up to that point)
    -Tremelo sounds better than any vintage Fender I ever owned and is more adjustable
    -Analog delay is warm and organic (reminds me of my old Boss analog delays but more range and the tap tempo is very useful).

I guess you are at risk of losing everything at once, but it's such a well built unit, I'm not really too worried (you could always buy two!). One other added benfit - the effects are very quiet and don't really color your sound. I use the unit with my acoustics (K&K in the flatops and National magnetic on my reso) and it sounds excellent. All in all, for my tastes, this is a great value. Google the Guitar Player review for more.

6. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

I too have the trem version and agree with jgm's review. I love every aspect of it...it's one of the better gear purchases I've ever made!
    Greg

7. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

it would be my grab and go board, except for the lack of an "all on/off" switch, so I could reduce tap dancing. But it looks like a great piece.

8. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

getting slapback on that tap tempo delay is a bit of a bummer, would be good to have an aditional time nob...

9. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

jaywalker,
    Yeah, you're right about that. I just reach down and smack the button a couple of times quickly with the side of my fist...seems to get me in the ballpark.
    Greg

10. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

this can be easily addressed with a basic loop switch, like the keeley "japanese apartment"l. This also addresses the tuner issue.

anyone have any thoughts on the character of the chorus?